4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.10's Mileage / Highway Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:12 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default 4.10's Mileage / Highway Driving

I babied my freaking car for more than a week and a half. And when i say babied, i mean drove like a old woman having a heart attack.

The driving was 80% country roads at 45
and 20% city with little stop and go at 40.

I NEVER had the car above 2500rpm in ANY gear except for three times.
I made one quick acceleration through first, and i made two videos of my exhaust.

Results: 302 miles on a 15.5 gallon tank = 19.48 miles per gallon...

not bad, but i would never drive like this again....

Now, last night and today i had the car on teh interstate for the first time with gears and exhaust.
2 things.

1. LOUD AS F*CK driving 70-80 at about 2600-3000rpm (underpasses are nuts!)
2. in about 50 miles, i used over a quarter of a tank... WTF!!!

i do NOT recommend 4.10's for highway driving at all after today and yesterday

Old 07-27-2005, 05:16 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: 4.10's Mileage / Highway Driving

are you saying 15.5 gal. tank cause that's how much you put in afterwards or cause that's the tank capacity. My gas light goes on with like 3 gallons left in the tank. Driving like a grandma is totally not worth the $$ you save.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:22 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

this is the main reason i went with 3.73's. mileage and gas prices.

my car is loud as hell with my LT's and high flow cat X pipe with my stingers... i love it.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Since installing 4.10s I drove mine twice on 2500 mile road trips and drive it to work every day on 50 mile round trips and get about 20 mpg. What's the problem???
Old 07-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

No ****, as they say. If you cruise at 60 to 65 with 4.10's your mileage won't be all that bad. Around 80 you are asking alot of the gears to give you respectable mileage. 3.73's I feel are a better all around gear if you travel the interstates much. 4.10's for the strip is fine, no problem, even 4.56's. I suppose your speedo gearing is accurate otherwise you may be going a much different speed than you think. I always say 4.10's or better are for those that don't like to use 1st gear much....you're in and out again in a heartbeat. Some even start up from a stop in 2nd when they are lazy or the weather conditions stink.

Did you disconnect your battery during the install? If not, you probably should disconnect it for about 10 minutes and then reconnect. This will zero out your computer and allow it to reprogram itself for you new running specs. This is, of course, more pertinent when you actually do work on the engine but can still help the computer to compensate for any added stress on the engine due to the new gears and exhaust. After about 50 to 100 miles or so your computer should have made its new trial and error adjustments. You may then find your overall mileage will go up a bit.

One other thing I just thought of, if your speedo is off so is your odometer reading for miles traveled. You may be getting bogus readings all the way around which would make it impossible for your to get an accurate mileage estimate. Still don't think your 4.10's should be as doggy as you say with mileage. I know most experience better than you have.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:38 PM
72MachOne99GT

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

No ****, as they say. If you cruise at 60 to 65 with 4.10's your mileage won't be all that bad. Around 80 you are asking alot of the gears to give you respectable mileage. 3.73's I feel are a better all around gear if you travel the interstates much. 4.10's for the strip is fine, no problem, even 4.56's. I suppose your speedo gearing is accurate otherwise you may be going a much different speed than you think. I always say 4.10's or better are for those that don't like to use 1st gear much....you're in and out again in a heartbeat. Some even start up from a stop in 2nd when they are lazy or the weather conditions stink.

Did you disconnect your battery during the install? If not, you probably should disconnect it for about 10 minutes and then reconnect. This will zero out your computer and allow it to reprogram itself for you new running specs. This is, of course, more pertinent when you actually do work on the engine but can still help the computer to compensate for any added stress on the engine due to the new gears and exhaust. After about 50 to 100 miles or so your computer should have made its new trial and error adjustments. You may then find your overall mileage will go up a bit.

One other thing I just thought of, if your speedo is off so is your odometer reading for miles traveled. You may be getting bogus readings all the way around which would make it impossible for your to get an accurate mileage estimate. Still don't think your 4.10's should be as doggy as you say with mileage. I know most experience better than you have.
what the hell?

this thread wasnt abuot me bitching, it was just letting anyone who was considering getting gears to know that as long as they dont do much highway driving, they are fine

christ, it sounds like at least one of you thinks i had no idea that driving at a higher rpm woudl make me have worse mileage,,

as for everything else you said about unplugging the computer so the car can adjust, i've had the exhaust since mid spring, and the gears since late spring.

"are you saying 15.5 gal. tank cause that's how much you put in afterwards or cause that's the tank capacity. My gas light goes on with like 3 gallons left in the tank. Driving like a grandma is totally not worth the $$ you save."

i said 15.5 cause thats the capacity, perhaps there was some left in the tank, but not enough to make much of a difference in overal mileage
as for driving like a grandma to save money, that is not the reason i did it, it was to MAXIMIZE the mileage for that tank

which all goes back to what i said above about this thread trying to be informative, and not about me bitching
Old 07-27-2005, 07:50 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

2 gallons off in your calc. will give you +/- 3-4 mpg. I just wanted to check that. and I was saying for myself that driving like a granny isn't worth a couple bucks here and there. and if you're trying to be informative, you should get your information right, cause your mpg calculations are wrong. wrong wrong wrong. wrong!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Hmmm, I have 4.30's in my car and don't have any problems with freeways. It runs at 2800 at 70mph. What did you use to correct your speedometer?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 PM
72MachOne99GT

i used the dallas mustang speedcal
and im pretty sure it is correct, ive never had any problems staying with the flow of traffic at appropriate speeds and such

for instance, 80 mph is right at 3K
and 70 is about 2400
and 55 is right at 2K

thats right as far as i know, in fact, i dont even think the speedcal would have anything to do with rpms considering that rpms are engine relateed, and speed is tire related
Old 07-28-2005, 12:55 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Here is my post re: RPM's, 4.10's and MPG's.

My MPG/Gear/4.10 post. Click Here.

Quick Reply: 4.10's Mileage / Highway Driving