4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

VT CamS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:35 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

Default VT CamS

OK big ballers Iv been readin in this forum for several days and I am ready to purchace cams. I have read several opinions that VT engines make the best cams for our cars. Mine is a 1997 GT. How much horse power will these gain in a stock application. Are they better than comp cams? Also this set will go on factory non pi heads, not my svo heads. So what Im askin in a nut shell is which cams will give me the biggest gain in a stock motor? Also can I change the valve springs without pulling the heads? I really want to be able to feal a difference, also I will do a couple intake exhaust mods down the road, and I dont nessisarily want to rev to the moon, I drive this particular car everyday to work and stuff. Any opinions are welcome. I would also like to see dyno graphs and such if there are any for vt cams, I already saw the graphs for comp cams in MM&FF articles. Thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 12:00 AM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: VT CamS

ORIGINAL: yoteehunter
Also can I change the valve springs without pulling the heads?
You can, but it's a bitch and takes about an hour per head. You’ll also need a Powerbilt valve spring compressor and will need to bring each piston to TDC (Top Dead Center) to prevent valves from falling into the cylinders.

As for the best Cams for non-PI 4.6’s, I’m not certain. Crane & Crower are a few of the more popular sticks. I will probably go with Crane. Here’s a good article on installing Cams: http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=39

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Call VT and talk to Scott. VT ground cams are the BEST modular cams on the market...period.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

camming a non-ported non-pi head makes no sense.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

camming a non-ported non-pi head makes no sense.

^^^^ I agree, before you spend that kind of money on getting cams, I would first get a full exhause set-up (headers, mid-pipe, and cat-back) and also do the PI swap. One thing that you can do is buy the PI intake and heads, and before you have them installed get the heade ported and polished, install the better valve springs and cams, then drop it all on your car and you will defently feel the difference. But before spending 1g+ on cams I would defently do the exhaust and PI swap first. This is just what I would do espically if you want the best gains out of your cams.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:54 AM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

At the same time I put the cams in I will also be installing a pi manafold, c&L plen. accu. T-body C&l powerpipe, C&L mass air with filter, Mac longtubes the matching H pipe with cats, and the stainless flowpaths from mac. Oh ya and also a new clutch, and some Un.-pulleys. Um; I didnt metion this in the begining because I didnt know I was going to get the "OH! you suck because you have the non pi heads" lesson. And also I figure that if I choose the best gain on a stock application, then with these other mods it would gain more after the rest of this BS is put on. Im not going to swap the heads for PI's because I just bought the SVO heads for my other car, and I dont want this to be a race car, just something that I can keep up with newer models. plus its always fun to have just a little more power. Anywho, Yes I will call VT cams, also so far you folks have helped me quite a bit with the few post I have layed out so thanks, Im still listing for opinions. Maybe yall can chim in on how cams would effect me with these other bolt ons. I still feel mixed emotions! on what to do.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The only cams I'd ever put on a stock non-pi head are PI cams, the VT cams are way to much for a factory non-pi head - theymake their power above 4k rpm... where the stock non-pi's fall on their face
Old 07-28-2005, 12:04 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yoteehunter

At the same time I put the cams in I will also be installing a pi manafold, c&L plen. accu. T-body C&l powerpipe, C&L mass air with filter, Mac longtubes the matching H pipe with cats, and the stainless flowpaths from mac. Oh ya and also a new clutch, and some Un.-pulleys. Um; I didnt metion this in the begining because I didnt know I was going to get the "OH! you suck because you have the non pi heads" lesson. And also I figure that if I choose the best gain on a stock application, then with these other mods it would gain more after the rest of this BS is put on. Im not going to swap the heads for PI's because I just bought the SVO heads for my other car, and I dont want this to be a race car, just something that I can keep up with newer models. plus its always fun to have just a little more power. Anywho, Yes I will call VT cams, also so far you folks have helped me quite a bit with the few post I have layed out so thanks, Im still listing for opinions. Maybe yall can chim in on how cams would effect me with these other bolt ons. I still feel mixed emotions! on what to do.

Did not want to come across like that, just wanted to fill you in with all the info that we could with the info that you provided us in the beginning. But as md said I would stick with just PI cams unless you are going to replace the heads with the PI heads. And then if you are going to have the heads swaped out get them P/P before the install and with new cams you sould see really good gains.