4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Delta Force tuning software ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by HaneyMotorsport.Com
<snip>
The HPX is not maxed...5v @ 2650 flow # given. As I stated before, this is just a rough curve. If you take my 23% adjustment ( more air mass), the new 5v would be 3441.***.
Was that in a 75mm housing?

If so then the VMP worksheet is total BS--you cannot change the mass (weight here on earth) of a given mass of air by heating it, cooling it, or compressing it...
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Well, I'm hoping by the rest of your setup that those "PI cams" listed in your sig aren't Stock cam grinds. That could very well be making up the difference in power you are noting.
Cliff cleared this one up.

One thing I would like to add is this, I am not running the same heads as most of the combos you are used to seeing. I am running ported SVO heads and SVO heads by nature do not require a lot of lift much like the NPI heads. This coupled with the fact that i wanted to pass the emissions test in CA led to me using the stock PI cams.

This is one of the dyno graphs with 12psi, you can see that the car is not short on power and has a ton of usable TQ. I plan on doing running custom cams and a bigbore in the future as the car is no longer driven on the highway.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Was that in a 75mm housing?

If so then the VMP worksheet is total BS--you cannot change the mass (weight here on earth) of a given mass of air by heating it, cooling it, or compressing it...
and you aren't going to make 64x.xxrwhp even with that number...
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
and you aren't going to make 64x.xxrwhp even with that number...
+110%
Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Freeing up the path of the air doesn't necessarily mean that you are increasing the actual volume of air flowing through the engine. That blower with a certain diameter pulley is pushing a specific amount of air into that engine's combustion chambers. Changing the cams doesn't increase the amount of air that the blower is pushing. It would drop the pressure of that air by reducing a flow restriction, but the number should remain roughly the same.

Steve, I know that those heads outflow the stock PI heads and even ported PI heads, but you'd be surprized how much more vital longer duration and higher lift cams are to performance than the head itself. Stock PI heads with aftermarket cams have made over 600rwhp. As far as I know, that cannot be said the other way around.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I guess I would have to have the software here infront of me to know what I'm suppose to change. Does the ammount of psi have anything to do with how much it would have to be altered? Fore example if I were running 10psi and got it right, and then bumped it up to 18 psi would the t/f be off? obviously it would need more fuel, but would the maf figure this out and whats needed or no?

Last edited by Chris98Gt; 03-03-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

And BTW, it is very possible to pass smog in CA with aftermarket cams and if you have tuning software that allows you complete control of your computer's parameters, functions, and tables, you can write a tune that will allow pretty much anything to pass a sniff test.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
I guess I would have to have the software here infront of me to know what I'm suppose to change. Does the ammount of psi have anything to do with how much it would have to be altered? Fore example if I were running 10psi and got it right, and then bumped it up to 18 psi would the t/f be off? obviously it would need more fuel, but would the maf figure this out and add what it needed or no?
Short answer, maybe.

If the MAF transfer function is 100% accurate from 0-5V and moving your boost level to 18PSI does not peg the meter then yes the PCM will add the appropriate fuel mass to reach the target lambda value.

That being said you would want to do some work in your base timing tables to reflect the added boost.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
And BTW, it is very possible to pass smog in CA with aftermarket cams and if you have tuning software that allows you complete control of your computer's parameters, functions, and tables, you can write a tune that will allow pretty much anything to pass a sniff test.
Understood, however 3 years ago I wasn't at the same skill level that I am now. Also leaving the cams alone allowed me to leave all of the injector timing and some other tables alone which made life easier.

The car no longer has catalytic converters so passing a CA emissions test would be impossible. Like I said in the future the cams will be changed as the car is a track only vehicle at this point.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Is there an equation to convert the inovative lc-1's a/f ratio to a lambda reading?

Quick Reply: Delta Force tuning software ?'s