4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SCT chip + radio interferance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Thank you Steve, do you know where the MY breakpoints are?

This could also explain why the vendor said "some" cars develop noise over the audio system. The 5th harmonic of 21MHz (105MHz) falls in the FM band, as does the 4th harmonic of 24MHz (96Mhz) and the 4th harmonic of 27MHz (108MHz).

Of these the 24MHz clock would be the most likely to cause FM interference, sitting almost smack dab in the middle of the FM band.
IIRC, the breaks were changes from major ECU type changes, as in, all the EEC-IV cars have the same speed CPU. The new mustangs (05+) got a slight improvement in clock speed with the Spanish Oak ECU. Which reminds me - It's just about spring and I'm putting a new impeller in my P1 - time to get my tuning software loaded on my netbook and get back into it.

Still, I can't see how this would cause radio interference. It would be like your desktop CPU causing your wifi signal to crap out at certain clock speeds... it just shouldn't be radiating anything (lots of wasted energy!). I've got a chip on mine (it's an emulator just like the SCT chip is) and my radio works fine all of the time. If anything, it's just a little poorer from the short antenna I didn't cut to a correct length.

I don't know of any which are 21 MHz, and I think the earlier ECUs are 24 (95 and older), while 96-04 is 27 MHz.

Don't hold me to that, I'd have to do some snooping around on eectuning.org again to know. It wasn't something I bothered to remember - just a setting in my tuning software for datalogging and done.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

he didn't say HOW common this issue may be, just said that its a possibility. i would like to assume that since at least 3 people have had no problems that i would be fine...but can't. im wondering if the fact that he said he had a stock radio would be the variable here.

antiv6: do you have stock radio or aftermarket?

Last edited by smitty2919; 03-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Oh another thing. I've been on the lookout for a used SCT tuner like yours - I don't care if it's out of unlocks (in fact, that's better because it's just going to be a datalogger). Would you be willing to part with it if you go the chip way?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i have both the Xcal 2 (locked to my brothers long ago sold car) and a Diablo Predator that came with my car.

my plan is to have one shop possibly unlock it for cheap or nothing then have the other shop tune and install my chip in which case i will keep the Xcal for pulling codes etc. and get rid of the Diablo.

If you are interested in the Diablo we could work something out. i would rather keep my stuff SCT based.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
he didn't say HOW common this issue may be, just said that its a possibility. i would like to assume that since at least 3 people have had no problems that i would be fine...but can't. im wondering if the fact that he said he had a stock radio would be the variable here.

antiv6: do you have stock radio or aftermarket?
stock radio, i do have a shorty antennae as well
Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake
IIRC, the breaks were changes from major ECU type changes, as in, all the EEC-IV cars have the same speed CPU. The new mustangs (05+) got a slight improvement in clock speed with the Spanish Oak ECU. Which reminds me - It's just about spring and I'm putting a new impeller in my P1 - time to get my tuning software loaded on my netbook and get back into it.

Still, I can't see how this would cause radio interference. It would be like your desktop CPU causing your wifi signal to crap out at certain clock speeds... it just shouldn't be radiating anything (lots of wasted energy!). I've got a chip on mine (it's an emulator just like the SCT chip is) and my radio works fine all of the time. If anything, it's just a little poorer from the short antenna I didn't cut to a correct length.

I don't know of any which are 21 MHz, and I think the earlier ECUs are 24 (95 and older), while 96-04 is 27 MHz.

Don't hold me to that, I'd have to do some snooping around on eectuning.org again to know. It wasn't something I bothered to remember - just a setting in my tuning software for datalogging and done.
Two things,

1.) Which netbook are you using to do your logging. I tried a couple from Bestbuy, Asus EEE, and I believe an HP. Neither of them would datalog correctly, they would log the data at a much slower rate than my standard laptop. It was slow to the point of being useless so I returned them both and haven't touched the project since, but I would like to if you know of one that works.

2.) I'll admit that my data on the clock frequencies was sort of "POA" I just referenced the system switch in the SCT Advantage software.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
Two things,

1.) Which netbook are you using to do your logging. I tried a couple from Bestbuy, Asus EEE, and I believe an HP. Neither of them would datalog correctly, they would log the data at a much slower rate than my standard laptop. It was slow to the point of being useless so I returned them both and haven't touched the project since, but I would like to if you know of one that works.

2.) I'll admit that my data on the clock frequencies was sort of "POA" I just referenced the system switch in the SCT Advantage software.

I have an HP mini 110 - but I bought it direct from HP. It's got the faster atom (N280 - 1.66 ghz dual core) and some nice little upgrades (bluetooth - which i can use to tune and datalog, 720p screen), and I dropped a 2gb stick of RAM in it instead of the 1GB it came with and loaded win 7 on it instead of XP. I love the thing, it cost me $340, but it's my daily laptop.

I'm yet to try it with an SCT handheld to datalog, but my last laptop was significantly less powerful and I had no problems. I'll be able to let you know first-hand on this in the coming weeks. The keys are going to be a fast enough processor (which is tough in netbooks! there's faster ones coming out every day though) and a fast hard drive (again, tough with netbooks, avoid SSD's as most of the stock ones are very slow).

I just gotta get the license for my programs transferred from my other laptop to my netbook and get the SCT tuner in my posession.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have an Acer Aspire D150, with 2GB memory, that works quite well with a Belkin USB-->RS-232 dongle and Innovate's Logworks and Delta Forces' Recon, or with their OBD2 Data Scout via Bluetooth.

With a hacked version of the Data Scout device (115.2kbps RS-232 hardwire), on my wife's CAN bus vehicle, I can scan 100+ PIDs/second.

I also use the Acer with an Owon HDS3102M-N handheld scope, via USB, with no issues. Here's a shot of the IAC signal at idle:

------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and I think most understood, that I was just pointing out that interference was possible, not that I had experienced it or that it was even likely--it is 100% possible that my engine might throw a rod today; however it has never done that before and it is not likely...

Last edited by cliffyk; 03-03-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake
I have an HP mini 110 - but I bought it direct from HP. It's got the faster atom (N280 - 1.66 ghz dual core) and some nice little upgrades (bluetooth - which i can use to tune and datalog, 720p screen), and I dropped a 2gb stick of RAM in it instead of the 1GB it came with and loaded win 7 on it instead of XP. I love the thing, it cost me $340, but it's my daily laptop.

I'm yet to try it with an SCT handheld to datalog, but my last laptop was significantly less powerful and I had no problems. I'll be able to let you know first-hand on this in the coming weeks. The keys are going to be a fast enough processor (which is tough in netbooks! there's faster ones coming out every day though) and a fast hard drive (again, tough with netbooks, avoid SSD's as most of the stock ones are very slow).

I just gotta get the license for my programs transferred from my other laptop to my netbook and get the SCT tuner in my posession.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the processing power of the unit. I too had the dual core atom. I have a feeling its something to do with the USB controller on the smaller netbooks. It seemed like the perfect solution to having a dataloger in the car when I take it on the track. For this reason I think I my get another one with a 16GB solid state drive

Almost all of the processing load when data logging is actually done by the PCM not the laptop so even a PIII laptop would work. If you have time and access I would be curious to see the results with your netbook and the Xcal2
Old 03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Ok, well I cant add to all the scientific frequency discussion, I will add this. I have an SCT chip in my Lightning, and the factory radio reception blows. Local stations are almost always cloudy and static. I tried moving my chip selector wire harness away from the actual radio antennae and it made a slight difference, but it still sucks

Quick Reply: SCT chip + radio interferance?