4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EGR emergency! BBK LT install, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Default EGR emergency! BBK LT install, HELP!

So i'm installing my BBK Longtube headers, and i'm having an impossible time trying to reconnect the EGR tube to the driver's side header. I can get it cross threaded down quite a bit, but not all the way. Me n my friend have been workin on this problem for two hours now and have no luck. My dad thinks the nut and the fitting have different threadings, causing it not to line up. My friend thinks we may have just stripped the thread from trying too damn much, which he suggested we try having it re-threaded, but don't know how we would do that. I've been tossing around a few ideas and trying to figure out what would be the best/easiest.. please give your feedback:

A) Cross thread the nut down as much as possible, then use some sort of hi-temp thread sealer/hi-temp sealant/cement on it to try to keep exhaust gases from leaking

B) Cut the EGR tube and HOPE that the nut actually fits after having more movement, then put a penny in the nut to seal it off at the header, then put in a plate to block off the EGR at the intake (main question here is, what about those vacuum lines, or whatever they are, attached to the tube? do i just leave them there? etc)

C) Weld shut the opening on the header and do the same for the end of the EGR tube (going to be difficult to do since i don't have a welder readily available and would hafta borrow one from a friend)

P.S. it's an '02 GT 5-speed, and yes, we detached the EGR valve from the intake to give a slight bit more flexibility
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

Delete your EGR setup completely. Easiest solution.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by massmustang02
Delete your EGR setup completely. Easiest solution.
yes, but what about the two lines attached to the EGR tube?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

I had this same problem when installing my macs, what i did was disconnect the egr from the plenum so there is no tension when you are lining up the egr tube to the long tubes. It will thread in, but the threads may be rusty, if possible remove the tube and egr and use a wire wheel and a drill to clean the threads so that there is less friction when installing. Good luck

EDIT: keep your EGR, deleting it has no effect on WOT performance and will only hurt your mpg under normal loads.

Last edited by stangalator; 03-02-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Cut them all out, everything.

All of this as well
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

You can reroute the lines. I would have to find the write up. Or the above post has good advice. I connected the EGR tube to the header before I installed any other bolts into the block.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Nestang
2nd Gear Member

Thats odd I didnt have much trouble installing mine.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

^^^ +1...neither did i.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nestang
Thats odd I didnt have much trouble installing mine.
probably the last thing a person in my situation wants to hear.. you can keep that kind of information to yourself next time

what i did was remove every piece attached to and blocking the EGR valve, pulled it out completely, and reattached it to the stock manifold so i could "re-thread" it properly. i screwed it on the stock one abt five times, making sure to get some good grooves in the nut, then put it back in the car without reattaching anything. after only a few tries, i was able to get the nut on the BBK fitting without cross threading, but it sure as hell felt like it was cross threading... i had to use the might of God to get that sucker down far enough to seal the tapered fitting. now i dont have any threads exposed, but there is a slight bit of the BBK fitting that isn't threaded that is exposed. might put on some hi-temp sealant just for the hell of it, to make extra sure it dont leak or come loose.

now that i've got that done and all the bolts on tight, i can't seem to get the oil dipstick down in there.. going to try more tomorrow when my triceps, forearms, and hands are in less pain
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by stangalator
I had this same problem when installing my macs, what i did was disconnect the egr from the plenum so there is no tension when you are lining up the egr tube to the long tubes. It will thread in, but the threads may be rusty, if possible remove the tube and egr and use a wire wheel and a drill to clean the threads so that there is less friction when installing. Good luck

EDIT: keep your EGR, deleting it has no effect on WOT performance and will only hurt your mpg under normal loads.
^ This.... I had to bend mine a little bit - OMG what a PITA!

Quick Reply: EGR emergency! BBK LT install, HELP!