4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Small Idle issue today...Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Default Small Idle issue today...Need Advice

I decided to to the stang to work today. It ran perfectly, the five mile trip. My boss needed my to run to the store for some office supplies and the car ran fine the two mile trip to the store. When I started the car to leave the store, the car started ideling erratically and died. I restarted the car and had to feather the throttle to keep the rpm's up before I let ot the clutch to take off. The two mile trip back, every time I pushed the clutch in, the car felt like it wanted to die. I parked at work and turn the car off and brought the supplies in. After about ten minutes, I decided to go out and start the car and inspect under the hood to see if it was possible to find the problem. When I started it, the issue was non existant. I took it for a quick cruise around the block and it was if it never happened.

My motor is stock with 110k, it idles at around 600 rpm.
My question is, what could have caused it to act this way? It has been raining the last few days so could it have been a moisture issue? Any advice on things I could check out to see if the are working properly? Could this be a warning sign of a problem with my fuel or ignition systems.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

any ideas or advice?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

clean your iac and change the fuel filter and that should be your fix.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
clean your iac and change the fuel filter and that should be your fix.
What is "iac"?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 PM
ride4lyfe
1st Gear Member

idle air control valve, other possibility may be vacuum line
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM
MustangLife

To add. Since your at the 100K+ plus on your motor. Its due for 1 of those big tune-ups. I agree clean your iac and replace fuel filter. But might want to go ahead and do the other things needed if you haven't already done so. At 48K miles on my GT I changed just the fuel filter and felt a difference. If it was me I would ......

Change Spark Plugs (NGK's)
Replace Fuel Filter
Clean IAC (Idle Air Control Valve)
Replace PCV
Clean MAF sensor with maf cleaner or similar type electronics cleaner
Need a fuel system treatment not that plastic bottle $2.00 crap. You need Berryman B-12, they sell it at Advance, Napa, Pep Boys. This stuff will do wonders for a car. Better than Lucas, STP, etc
Check diagnostics for trouble codes, some codes don't trip a check engine light. You have type a, type b, type c, type d codes. Some call it hard codes and soft codes.
It definately sounds like a fuel problem. So that bottle of berryman b-12 and changing the fuel filter is a must. The problem might be at the injectors rather fuel pump.

Check and Inspect the serpentine belt, pulleys, brake pads, and flush or have the coolant system flushed. A shop can do a little better job flushing the coolant with pressure lines, etc.

Hope this all helps.
Your car will definately run better after all this. Not really much money either on a tune up like that.

Josh
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

ok, thanks for the input guys. I threw away the carfax on the car that had a bunch of pages worth of service records, but I threw it away and don't remember what all was done. I guess I'll get started on the above listed stuff.

Thanks again. I'll keep ya's posted.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:00 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Default FOUND THE FLIPPIN PROBLEM!!!

I know you guys are gonna bust my twig and giggleberries for this because this was an issue I should have found the day I bought the car. I pulled open my air filter box and pulled the air intake tube off, this is what I found.

I can only assume that during the 8 months it sat, a lil furry critter made a nice lil home for itself.
I pulled the junk out, cleaned the maf and tb with carb cleaner, bought a new air filter. Put it all back together and it was like I had a new car. I swear to you guys, my assdyno, told me I gained around 20hp. The motor was starving for air and I didn't even know it.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

OMG ive never seen anything like that. You should consider yourself lucky thats all that happened. Also a good idea to pop the hood once in a while lol
Old 03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

So essentially once the mouse got fully burned through your engine she ran fine? :P Hiccup!

Oh my god man wow this is #1 on the "WTF MATE" list. I wont forget this one.......holy ****.

Quick Reply: Small Idle issue today...Need Advice