4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Auto Tranny Frowned Upon ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:28 PM
skinsr4reel

Default Auto Tranny Frowned Upon ?

I know some of the other boards like the IGN Car boards, everyone there always downs Automatics...

Im just seeing if its teh same here...

Im lookin for a 5 speed, but I saw a nice charcoal 2002 Today and its Auto...I think its really a good amount slower than the manual. It just really turns me off.

Am I being too picky?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:26 PM
04 GT Interceptor

Default RE: Auto Tranny Frowned Upon ?

Automatics are 23% slower than a manual. Of course a gear ratio change and a few bolt-ons and you wont know its a auto. Oh yea, I don't down automatics.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04 GT Interceptor

Automatics are 23% slower than a manual. Of course a gear ratio change and a few bolt-ons and you wont know its a auto. Oh yea, I don't down automatics.
Are you retarded? Where the hell do you get that from? It's not 23% slower. Maybe your talking about how much hp it loses from the flywheel to the rear wheels? Anyway. I have a 2002 GT which is an auto. It's not too much slower then a 5 speed. Get a tuner, shift kit, and gears and your better then a 5 speed. Actually when mustangs reach a certain HP they usually switch to an auto because it's better for the strip. Several cobras that I know of do this. Well anyway. Its not bad at all. But the 5 speed is more fun. [sm=gears.gif]
Old 07-28-2005, 10:55 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

It all comes down to preference.. Obviously, I would have loved to buy a 5-spd, but I got an Auto.. I'm not mad, and would not down anyone for wanting an Auto...

There are it's drawbacks (I.e. as mentioned, when it's bone stock), it does lose a bunch more than 5-spds, but once it's built up a little (e.g. Shift kit, stall converter, etc..) it can usually beat on your casual 5 spd..

Oh yeah, and for the track: You never lift to shift.....

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....
Old 07-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

It all comes down to preference.. Obviously, I would have loved to buy a 5-spd, but I got an Auto.. I'm not mad, and would not down anyone for wanting an Auto...

There are it's drawbacks (I.e. as mentioned, when it's bone stock), it does lose a bunch more than 5-spds, but once it's built up a little (e.g. Shift kit, stall converter, etc..) it can usually beat on your casual 5 spd..

JT

It's not that big of a difference stock for stock usually around 14.0-14.1 for a 5spd and 14.3-14.4 for an auto. Throw a gear in the auto and your just as fast if not faster then the 5spd.

If you get an auto get a 4.10, 3200 stall, and some ET Streets and go rip some 5spd cars a new one
Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fat Nick

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

JT

It's not that big of a difference stock for stock usually around 14.0-14.1 for a 5spd and 14.3-14.4 for an auto. Throw a gear in the auto and your just as fast if not faster then the 5spd.

If you get an auto get a 4.10, 3200 stall, and some ET Streets and go rip some 5spd cars a new one

I guess one of the only other setbacks to Auto's are: They're more expensive to fix once they're broke..

If you haven't done a lot of Drag racing w/ a 5spd, it'd also be more beneficial to get an Auto... It takes a little more skill to know where to feather your throttle at (unless you get one of those Rev-Locking devices). But you can usually control your powerband a little better w/ a 5 spd...

JT
Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

It takes a little more skill to know where to feather your throttle at (unless you get one of those Rev-Locking devices). But you can usually control your powerband a little better w/ a 5 spd...
Ummm, shift kit.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:22 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Exactly..

For those 5-spd guys, they have those modules, that you can set your Rev limiter to like 2800RPM, for staging.. In DSM's, we called them Stutterboxes... You put your clutc and gas to the floor, and it is set when you start your car...

Works well for AWD... I know that doesn't really help...

JT
Old 07-28-2005, 11:26 PM
num1son80
1st Gear Member

don't feel bad about the auto I'm kinda in the the same boat bought an auto now I decided I'm building a road race machine, yah people will say I dont have as much control over my exit speeds, but oh well with an auto rear gears and stall I'll be leaving the corners quick and gettin into the band a lot quicker... dont get discouraged, btw this is my first auto, I just wanted something that anyone could drive

K
Old 07-28-2005, 11:55 PM

manuals = more fun. End of story. However, automatics are more consistent down the drag strip. Especially with a stall and a shift kit.

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny Frowned Upon ?