4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Chevron or Shell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

My car hates everything but exxon. I tried to cheap out and use grocery store 93.. I lost 3 mpg... I used shell and chevron.. i lost 2 mpg... Same routine driving everyday.. same results every week with exxon I get 20 mpg.. always. IDK!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Use Chevron, 76, and Shell. Pick your poison, but if you run the same brand regularly, I would throw in a tank of one of the other occasionally. Even though they all use detergents and different additives to "prevent sludge" or whatever, the same detergents being used all the time can in fact leave deposits in your engine, tank, fuel lines etc...

Running an occasional tank of a different type can help clean this up and prevent deposits.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
Neither.

Both are rip offs, usually 10-15% more expensive then other stations.
Quality....... I try to only use chevron.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Roys02GT

Sorry I need to chime in here.

I haul fuel for a living and I can honestly tell you there is very little difference to the the gas. The only difference is if you (The truck driver) select an additive to be injected into the gas as its being loaded.

I can go to a Magellon terminal and load my truck with either Sinclair, Conoco, BP, Gary Williams, Exxon, HWRT, and the list goes on. And at this terminal there is no additive injected, so it really is all the same gas.

But on the other hand, when we actually go to the supplier like BP, Conoco, and so on then they do inject it for us and we can add more additive to it.

I know someone is going to argue this point but I have been doing this for 5 years now and have hauled millions of gallons of gas and have loaded at at least 50 different terminals. Not trying to start a fight with anyone just passing this along for a little bit of info for you all.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roys02GT

I haul fuel for a living and I can honestly tell you there is very little difference to the the gas. The only difference is if you (The truck driver) select an additive to be injected into the gas as its being loaded.

I can go to a Magellon terminal and load my truck with either Sinclair, Conoco, BP, Gary Williams, Exxon, HWRT, and the list goes on. And at this terminal there is no additive injected, so it really is all the same gas.

But on the other hand, when we actually go to the supplier like BP, Conoco, and so on then they do inject it for us and we can add more additive to it.

I know someone is going to argue this point but I have been doing this for 5 years now and have hauled millions of gallons of gas and have loaded at at least 50 different terminals. Not trying to start a fight with anyone just passing this along for a little bit of info for you all.

whats the additive do?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roys02GT

Who do you drive for?

Edit: I get what you're saying now, I misread it before.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 03-17-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

ive heard all gas brands are the same other than the additives added to them by there respective company, that all oil companys pump there gas through the same central pipe systems in the US (west Coast, easy coast, texas, canadian)
Old 03-18-2010, 12:40 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

I use both but my car feels better when i use Chevron. Neighbor of mine's car started shaking and the mechanics told her to just go to Chevron and everything is working. Just my two cents.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

On the note of additives and Chevron, I have heard that the Techron additive is one of the better ones. Nothing scientific, just hearsay from folks who are halfway knowledgeable about such things. You can also get Techron by the bottle to add to a tank if you don't have an actual Chevron station nearby. Again, can't say with any certainty that it's worthwhile, but my car people think so...
Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan86272
Quality....... I try to only use chevron.
I have always stuck with 76 or chevron. I won't even put discount gas in my beater. But occasionally when I'm on the verge of "calling a tow truck low" on gas I'll stoop to shell or arco.

Quick Reply: Chevron or Shell?