4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PLEASE HELP. ELECTRICAL

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 PM
mvandeusen
1st Gear Member

Default PLEASE HELP. ELECTRICAL

Ok... here's my issue. I think my GEM (generic electric module) is fried so none of my powered stuff works -- locks, windshield wipers, convertible top, dome light... with that said... because I don't have $500 to pay Ford for a new one and I can't find a replacement anywhere... is it possible to hotwire the convertible top? Basically speaking, and by no means am I an electrician... can I directly wire / rig the switch and convertible top motor to the battery???

I know there are 3 wires that connect to the toggle switch. one has to be a hot/power wire, and the other 2 are for UP and DOWN...? Right? I don't know where those wires go...im sure they have to run into a relay and/or module.

Then, there's 2 wires that run in/out of the convertible top motor and into a relay. One is red and the other is yellow. What are those wires? (attachment) ... i'm guessing the red is hot/power and the yellow is what?

BAsically... I want to be able to get my convertible top UP and DOWN without having to buy the Generic Electric Module ... also referred to as a Body Control Module (I think) ... is there any way or wiring everything directly from the battery using an in-line fuse??? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails PLEASE HELP. ELECTRICAL-0322001821.jpg  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 AM
EI-03-GT
2nd Gear Member

you may not want to go out and buy a new one but i would say you should prob go ahead and save up and buy one.... if you try and "rig" something up you are going to end up regretting it when you fry the motor in the convertible top or mess something else up.

as far as the 3 wires running into the toggle switch. i dont know where they would go or what the wires are but im sure they run through a fuse or something along those lines.

the only way to know what the 2 wires in the motor are is to look at a diagram or check for voltage which you wouldnt have at this time anyway.

just save yourself the trouble and get a GEM if thats what you think is wrong...
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's a link to the wiring diagram for the top, from the '03 shop manual. Below is a big "thumbnail" of the diagram:

The GEM does not appear to have any control function with regard to raising and lowering the top, it is just being made aware that the parking brake is applied by the parking brake switch pulling pin 4 low (pin 4 is held high normally via a pull up resistor in the GEM).

The top's operation is dependent on power supplied by two fuses, F2.28 (30A motor power) and F2.20 (15A control power), the switch gear (the Raise/Lower switch, the relays, and the parking brake switch), and of course the wiring and ground connections.

The pump motor is reversible, the control circuit reverses to connection to the red and yellow wires to change its direction.

When the Lower switch is pressed the relay on the right is energised (IF the parking brake is on) and V+ is applied to the motor's yellow lead, the motor's red lead is connected to ground through the non-energised relay on the left.

Raising the top energises the relay on the left, V+ is applied to the motor's red wire with the yellow wire connected to ground through the non-energised relay on the right.

My suggestions:
  1. Check the fuses;
  2. Check the parking brake switch;
  3. Check the Raise/Lower switch;
  4. Check the relays;
  5. Check the motor (more below);

To check the motor unplug the connector shown in your photo and connect +12V and ground as follows:

To raise the top connect the yellow wire to ground and the red to +12V--expect some sparks as you will be switching 20A+.

To lower the top connect the yellow wire to +12V and the red to ground.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 AM
mvandeusen
1st Gear Member

I can't thank you enough for the thread ... much help!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Try MPS autosalvage for your parts. I have bought a lot of stuff from them.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mvandeusen
In laymans terms, how can I wire everything so I can get the top to go up and down because it's impossible to disconnect everything and re-connect everything any time I need to raise and lower the top. I guess there needs to be a way (if even possible) to wire everything so a 3-way switch (????) can control the up and down movement without connecting and disconnecting the red and yellow wire from the battery and ground all the time...

This is all hypothetically speaking if after I check all the fuses and relays everything seems to be working properly.
If it comes to it you will need a switch like this:

30A DPDT (ON)-OFF-(ON) Momentary rocker switch this one from GAMA Electronics;

It would be wired like this:

RAISE position:

LOWER position:

The red and green lines represent +12V and ground applied voltages, the arrows show the direction of conventional (+ to -) current flow.

Last edited by cliffyk; 03-31-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM
mvandeusen
1st Gear Member

Ok. this is great. huge help. we'll so how it goes... hopefully I wont be setting anything on fire...