4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A Few Simple Mods, want an opinion from you pros

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
dkillgore
1st Gear Member

Default A Few Simple Mods, want an opinion from you pros

Hey guys,

Recently the mod bug started to bite me a bit for my 03 GT. This morning I received an email from American Muscle with some spring deals and a 10% off promo code.

Here is what I am considering getting:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mugtv8...72999999999999

and

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mu4gti...72999999999999

The cold air intake is already on sale and I can use the 10% promo code with it. It has pretty good reviews for not being a name brand, and for 72 bucks after the discount I really can't argue much with it. Any opinions would be nice though.

What I am most concerned about is that I live in CA and I don't know what effect, if any, this CAI will have on my smog tests. I am not going to be using a custom tune (yet), but will this intake by itself make me fail in CA?

Also, the second produce is the spacer. Does that really make a difference in anything or is it just a waste of money?

This promo code lasts for three days so hopefully you guys can give me some good insight and if it looks good I can still grab it with the promo code active.

Thanks.

Last edited by dkillgore; 03-25-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
5.flow
2nd Gear Member

I bought that particular cold air intake, not really a huge fan of it to be honest. The fender shield rusts and the whole unit just feels low quality. There was also a hole for an intake air temperature sensor that my 4.6L doesn't have. (I think it might be just for v6's?) There was no plug included in my kit to delete that hole, so I had to find my own plug for it.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
dkillgore
1st Gear Member

Yeah I did read about that in the reviews, but the people with GT's said it was easily plugged up.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

whats up
When it comes to a CAI most people will tell you that they are for looks as much as performace and dont bother to break the bank on one. Because a cheap one will give you nearly the same gains. a cheap CAI for $72 that may give you 8hp or a $200 one that might give you 12-15hp is the extra 4 hp worth $130? not really. So that being said this one doesnt look bad. Looking at the pics from AM. But I wouldnt look to a CAI for big power gains. O yeah and I cant help you with the smog test. my K&N is 50 states legal but I didnt see anything about it on that one.

The spacer will not give you any gains you can notice. I dont think you will be able to feel 2-7 hp. And more likely then not youll gain 2 from it not 7... It might look cool under the hood but youll never notice it.

that being said. If you want a couple mods you might notice more and want to still use that 10% off.
look at convertible lightbar looks pretty cool but at $430 might be more then your looking to spend right now.
And the chin spoiler looks pretty bad *** too. But again only for looks.
If your going for a performance mod there isnt much on there spring sale for you.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Both are a waste of money, especially as places to start modding.

Get a CARB approved catted 2-1/2" H or X-pipe, and a 1-1/2" catback, then buy a tuner and load a premium fuel tune...
Old 03-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

About a hundy more and you have yourself a sweet set of gears. You're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
dkillgore
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll skip these two then. A light bar is a little more than I'm planning on spending at the moment, and gears would be nice but I'm planning those later on down the line. The only reason I was thinking about these two was because of the price.

Thanks again. More comments and suggestions are still welcome.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Honestly, brother, intakes are over-rated. Go guy a K&N and take the 'silencer' out. My car came with a C&L tube on it with a conical filter, but gains with it aren't enough to merit the 3-400 dollar cost of them. Throttle bodies are nice. BBK makes a comparably priced piece.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Both are a waste of money, especially as places to start modding.

Get a CARB approved catted 2-1/2" H or X-pipe, and a 1-1/2" catback, then buy a tuner and load a premium fuel tune...
No such animal....
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 PM
5.flow
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkillgore
Yeah I did read about that in the reviews, but the people with GT's said it was easily plugged up.

Thanks.
I don't want to rag on American muscle because I think they are a good company, but as for the reviews they post of products, I think they pick and choose what goes on the site. I left a review for the CAI in question giving it a fair review but it was never posted, that was over a year ago. I felt that it was important information for a potential buyer to know that the fender shield isn't aluminum as one would assume.

Quick Reply: A Few Simple Mods, want an opinion from you pros