4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Patriot cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 AM
EI-03-GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Patriot cylinder heads

I am buying the Patriot stage 2 cylinder heads i was wondering if anyone wout there has them? Is there anything that is not included on the cylinder head itself that i need to buy? what kind of power gains can i expect from just the cylinder head?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Buy the trick flow heads instead. Last i checked patriot was just ported stock heads.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:27 AM
EI-03-GT
2nd Gear Member

I already ordered the patriot heads..... and if i did buy the trick flow heads would i have to buy anything for them?... or are they just ready to throw on?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:07 AM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EI-03-GT
I already ordered the patriot heads..... and if i did buy the trick flow heads would i have to buy anything for them?... or are they just ready to throw on?
Trick Flow Twisted Wedged heads come assembled with everything but cams, lifters and rockers. They flow 240 cfm out of the box which is 15 cfm more than the best stage 3 Patriot head. Twisted Tricks have larger intake/exhaust valve and better flow characteristics. They are not worked up PI heads as are Patriots which are made from used PI castings.

I know this guy who has a automatic 03 GT with a good tune, an aftermarket elbow, TB, cold air pipe with kN filter, Mac Mid pipe and Mac Cats that made 228 rwhp on dyno. He put on the Twisted Tricks with mild stage 2 cams that didn't lope much and the Mustang hit 276 on dyno. That is a 48 rwhp increase. He then added a Fox Lake P51 intake and the dyno hit 302 rwhp. He then swapped out the milder stage 2 cams for the hotter Comp Stage 2 Xtremes that loped. The dyno hit 331 rwhp. Up over 100 rwhp.

The results were so impressive, I made the same modifications on my supercharged 02 GT. Instead of a 103 rwhp gain, my GT, already making 16 PSI, gained 168 rwhp with the Tricks, P51 and Xtreme cams. Cost: $3877 in parts.

My Mustang makes so much power now that is scares me. If I floor it under 63 mph on highway in 3rd gear, my good street tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 2 -- 315 x 35 x 18) spin out and the rear end gets away from me. I then look in the rear view mirror and all the cars are slowing down like I am going to wreck or something. I know all about MTs and Nitto's but the weather in NYC area is not good for those tires. Too cold in the winter and too much rain in the summer. If I were a man, I can change wheels when it rains. But that is not the case.

Anyway, I doubt those gains can be achieved with a Patriot head.

Last edited by janine; 03-27-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

janine why wouldnt you get blower cams? You could have gotten even bigger gains with some blower cams instead of NA cams. Either way nice gains though.

OP dont worry the heads you got are alright. not the best on the market but better then stock. Sorry I dont know if you need anything else for install or not though.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:46 AM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SeanAndKate
janine why wouldnt you get blower cams? You could have gotten even bigger gains with some blower cams instead of NA cams. Either way nice gains though.

OP dont worry the heads you got are alright. not the best on the market but better then stock. Sorry I dont know if you need anything else for install or not though.
I went with Comp Stage 2's because of the fantastic gains on Dyno and the way the motor rocked at idle. The only negative I noticed is if I suddenly let off the throttle at high rpm, the engine will shut down. I guess I need to adjust my driving style to avoid this.

You say Tricks are not the best head on the market but better than stock.... What heads are better? What "out of the box" heads make more than 48 rwhp on a basically stock setup? I really would like to know.

As far as the install, I have all work done professionally by a shop that works on Mustangs exclusively. I've been going to them since I purchased my GT new in May 2002. I guess 1/2 of the 19,000 miles I put on her can be attributed to the 67 mile trips to the shop over the passed 8 years.... Nice highway runs.

Last edited by janine; 03-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by janine
You say Tricks are not the best head on the market but better than stock.... What heads are better? What "out of the box" heads make more than 48 rwhp on a basically stock setup? I really would like to know.
I think he was talking about the Patriot heads.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
I think he was talking about the Patriot heads.
Then that would make sense.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=janine;6905713]I went with Comp Stage 2's because of the fantastic gains on Dyno and the way the motor rocked at idle. The only negative I noticed is if I suddenly let off the throttle at high rpm, the engine will shut down. I guess I need to adjust my driving style to avoid this.

How much power you putting to the wheels? Something is definitely up with your tune if your car shuts down on you.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Mustang_NTriangle;6906307]
Originally Posted by janine
I went with Comp Stage 2's because of the fantastic gains on Dyno and the way the motor rocked at idle. The only negative I noticed is if I suddenly let off the throttle at high rpm, the engine will shut down. I guess I need to adjust my driving style to avoid this.

How much power you putting to the wheels? Something is definitely up with your tune if your car shuts down on you.
609 rwhp

I was told before hand by the tuner with this type of cam that the engine would stall out if I suddenly let off the throttle at high rpm -- between 6500 and 7200, red line. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens. Sometimes there are situations where you can not avoid pulling off the throttle suddenly. Power steering goes out and power braking get hard. I have the best brakes money can buy so it does help.

If I have the rev limiter set at 6500, I will lose 52 RWHP. But it is an option. My motor makes most if it's power above 4200. It feels like a dead drop on a 320 foot roller coaster -- constantly accelerating at an alarming rate.... I gave my father a ride and opened the throttle. He moaned and covered his eyes. It gave him palpitations and demanded that I stop. I told him that he was a big baby. He didn't say anything. He just sat looking distressed with his eyes wide open and his teeth gritting. I just shook my head and drove him home. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Mustang scares me, too, when the rear end gets away at 60mph.... But I don't act like a freaking baby.

Last edited by janine; 03-27-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Patriot cylinder heads