4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just Changed accessory belt and its now squeeking a lot...whats going on???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:14 PM
noroofonthecoupe
Gimme a cupcake & a pat on the head

Default Just Changed accessory belt and its now squeeking a lot...whats going on???

I was just doing some maintenance to my car over the weekend and decided to change the accessory belt. I put it on according to the diagram, I am fairly sure it's put on correctly, I double and triple checked. And it seems to be squeaking a lot, it didn't do that before with the old belt. Is the belt defected, does it need adjusting, should I just spray some WD40 on it??
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I don't know if it is the correct thing to do but if it was me I would try and spray belt dressing or WD40 on it.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

I believe WD 40 may cause the belt to slip until the oil dissipates -- which shouldn't take long. Does the belt stop squeaking after it warms up or does it squeak all the time? Are you positive the belt is tight? My belt squeaks for about 3 minutes after a cold start up, then gradually dies down and goes away. The heat tightens it up and stops the squeak.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM
noroofonthecoupe

No It squeeks the whole time, I drove it around for like 30min. highway speed (around 60mph) and it squeeked the entire time. I checked the belt and it fits properly around all the grooves in the pully's and everything so I am not sure what it could be...I was thinking about spraying with WD40 but yeah I was thinking it might slip yeah so I don't know....maybe the belt is defective?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by noroofonthecoupe
No It squeeks the whole time, I drove it around for like 30min. highway speed (around 60mph) and it squeeked the entire time. I checked the belt and it fits properly around all the grooves in the pully's and everything so I am not sure what it could be...I was thinking about spraying with WD40 but yeah I was thinking it might slip yeah so I don't know....maybe the belt is defective?
Didn't squeak before. New belt makes noise and is the correct size.

Trash the belt. Get a new one. Make sure it is a Gates Micro V.

Last edited by janine; 03-27-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What brand of belt did you get?

The Goodyear Gatorback and Dayco Poly-Cog are those that I have found to be best and least likely to squeak. Gates is a far second, and Kelley-Springfield just plain sucks...
Old 03-27-2010, 08:53 PM
noroofonthecoupe

I don't know what brand I just went to my local autozone...I didn't really think it mattered since I am only running bolt on's....Im prolly just going to put my old one back on that didn't squeak and return this one I suppose...Are new belts not supposed to squeak? Is there a break in period?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

I don't know what brand I just went to my local autozone...I didn't really think it mattered since I am only running bolt on's....Im prolly just going to put my old one back on that didn't squeak and return this one I suppose...Are new belts not supposed to squeak? Is there a break in period?
Sometimes even the best parts are defective.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes even the best parts are defective. It happens.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Why don't you just try a little bit of belt dressing if the noise goes away you're fine.

Quick Reply: Just Changed accessory belt and its now squeeking a lot...whats going on???