4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Slide pins

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
KLeech
1st Gear Member

Default Slide pins

Alright guys the slide pins in my rear brake calipers on my 00' GT are froze up and i was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before. its causing my calipers to rub the pads everytime i turn the wheel due to the calipers remaining stationary when the axle moves. if anyone has ever had this problem was it a pita to fix or pretty simple? i dont have a lot of free time or really a place to do it so if anyone knows how much it may run at a shop to get this done lmk.

thanks,
kyle
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well depending on how stuck they really are, I'd go ahead and order new caliper brackets thru your local parts dealer. If you have access to a bench vise and some hammers and vice grips you might be able to get it out. I just had this problem with dimebag's car and had to use a torch to heat up the area then work the slider out. I had to replace the slider itself because it was so rusted and corroded.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
ride4lyfe
1st Gear Member

happened to me, i hit it with some pb blaster and a pair of vice grips and worked it back and forth, took me maybe 20 min to get it out. bought a new slide pin and was sure to put plenty of grease on it.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

pretty common problem. has happened to both of my rear calipars and on my dads past two mustangs. happens because the rubber boot that's supossed to make a water tight seal is crap and doesn't do anything. that being said it is a pretty easy fix and no need to buy a new one. take a pair of vice grips and clamp on to the pin and twist it as hard as you can. its best to secure the bracket so you can put as much twisting force as possible. and of coarse spray the crap out of it with pb blaster like stated above. once its broken free pull pin out and sand all the rust off it and do the same for the inside of the bracket. rap the sand paper around a pencil or something that can fit inside the pin hole and have at it. then its as simple as greasing the hell out of the pin and putting it back in. problem solved.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
KLeech
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Well depending on how stuck they really are, I'd go ahead and order new caliper brackets thru your local parts dealer.
so the bracket is what mounts the caliper correct? and buying new ones wil come with new slide pins and everything right? my knowledge of brakes is pretty close to 0.

and thanks for the advice from everyone else, i had heard it was a common problem and didnt figure it would be to tough a fix. hopefully i can get this problem squared away as cheaply as possible.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by KLeech
so the bracket is what mounts the caliper correct? and buying new ones wil come with new slide pins and everything right? my knowledge of brakes is pretty close to 0.

and thanks for the advice from everyone else, i had heard it was a common problem and didnt figure it would be to tough a fix. hopefully i can get this problem squared away as cheaply as possible.
Yes, make sure if you do go the new bracket route to ask the parts person if they come with pins and boots. Most of the time you can save them, but there has been plenty of sliders I've had to torch out and they are just a mess and require new pins anyway
Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

i had it happen on my car took off the bracket and used a threaded rod and a slide hammer to break the slide pin free.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 AM
KLeech
1st Gear Member

i think i may just take all the brakes off my car. i mean really who wants to slow down? lol