MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Transmission Noise (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/594771-transmission-noise.html)

JWakebrd4 04-04-2010 07:25 PM

Transmission Noise

So i picked up a mustang with a bad tranny, and got a free one from a mustang shop near me that races stangs. I put the tranny in and there is a whirring noise at idle and gears 1,2,3,and 5 have a whining noise to them when it is in gear. When I keep the clutch pushed in the noise goes away at idle. 4th gear is fine. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks

JWakebrd4 04-04-2010 07:28 PM

Oh ya it is a 2003 gt mustang

JWakebrd4 04-04-2010 11:12 PM

Any help?

Kenny_k82 04-05-2010 10:24 AM

Hey if you ever get any help let me know! I have the exact same thing going on and I don't understand it. At idle you hear a whine from the tranny but with the clutch in it sounds fine. It will also whine while it's in gear. I had the fluid changed and that didn't help. The good news I have for you is that I drove from NE- San Antonio, over 2k miles and it made it just fine and is still going good. I think it will last for some time. BUT if you ever figure this out pm me, I'll do the same for you.

CitadelBulldogs 04-05-2010 10:25 AM

A whirring noise??? Is it kind of subtle or is it drastic and loud?

Kenny_k82 04-05-2010 10:41 AM

It's a whine that is noticable for sure, and then with higher rpm's it gets increasingly louder. If I were to sit in neutral and rev it to 2k, it would be pretty loud. Seems to shift into the gears fine, a little sticky goin into 2nd at times but not too bad.

Kenny_k82 04-05-2010 10:42 AM

Ha, and btw I think it is loud! I like to nit pick my car, but g/f would say it is subtle but can be heard if you pay attention.

CitadelBulldogs 04-05-2010 10:46 AM

could be throwout bearing. when you put your foot on the clutch lightly does it go away? is it like a chirping or a full out WHINE

Kenny_k82 04-05-2010 10:52 AM

No chirping at all, it's only a whine. The clutch seems nice and stiff like it should be, as soon as I push in on the clutch the whine will go away and I could rev it as high as I want with no noise from the tranny. I have been wondering about a TOB, but I thought tob makes noise when you push in the clutch. Also, I have heard a tob go out in an old pickup i used to drive and it chirped and whined also. I'm just wondering if this is gonna cause me to have to shell out the $$ for a new tranny in the near future.

CitadelBulldogs 04-05-2010 10:57 AM

throwout bearings will only make noises when the clutch is out. with a throw out bearing, you'll hear a constant sound, until clutch pedal is pressed, then it'll go away. it doesn't sound like a transmission problem because you're saying that it shifts fine, and when you push in the clutch it goes away. So im thinking tob, but i won't know FOR SURE until I drive it, so go ahead and make your way down to south carolina. :) haha