4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brief sqealing sounds when starting to accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by asiansensation78
Kind of, a brake pad is comprised of the plate that clips against the caliper and the actual pad compound, which is glued to the backing plate. The glue wore out and therefore the actual friction compound was just bouncing and rubbing against the rotor at low speeds. I don't know how familiar you are with basic aerodynamics but when the wheels moved faster, the laminar airflow viscosity formed a thin pressure boundary layer on the rotor so the friction material stayed in place for the most part and the noise was quieter. The glue on old pads can fail, especially if it was iced over.
That would explain why once I'm moving the sounds goes away. It does go away quickly, though. There isn't much of an in between, I either hear it at one level or another or I don't hear it at all. Regardless, it's something to check.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
asiansensation78
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ValeTudo
That would explain why once I'm moving the sounds goes away. It does go away quickly, though. There isn't much of an in between, I either hear it at one level or another or I don't hear it at all. Regardless, it's something to check.
Yup, that's usually how it works. Like I said, this is just a possibility, not sure if this is the case for you but hopefully it is since it's a simple fix.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ValeTudo
After my car is parked for awhile, I've recently began hearing this squealing sound for a few seconds when I first accelerate. It isn't a belt, and it sounds like metal on metal. It usually last a few seconds if that just as I start moving forward, and it doesn't matter if I have the clutch in or out. The first few times I stop and go I hear it, but always the loudest the first time, and then nothing for the rest of the ride. It sounds kinds like break noise, but a slightly deeper sounding and not when I'm braking. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from other than underneath the car. I had a mechanic look at it and he couldn't find anything out of wack visually, so he said to keep an eye on it and bring it back if it gets worse. Any idea what could be causing this?
I am sure I have the same problem and can't figure it out either. I heard someone say that it is the parking brake cable going thru their hangers near the rear wheel but that wasn't it. It's definately coming from the rear of the car somewhere.

Last edited by vanquish; 04-05-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

FWIW i occasionally get a squealing, almost shreeking noise coming from the rear if i gun it in 1st gear, but it only lasts for a split second
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna look into this IAC possibility as well because it does sounds a little deeper than a brake squeal, and it fits the symptoms pretty well considering that my drivability isn't being effected. My idle has been fine, though.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

Here is a short video of the sound I took leaving work today. I took it with my cell phone so the sound quality sucks, but it should still be helpful. This is just after a backed out of my parking space. I set the phone on the dash and started moving in first. I didn't hear it for the rest of my drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkE7kC0sMw
Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

That is the exact sound in my car Bump.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
asiansensation78
1st Gear Member

That doesn't sound like the brakes... more like the drive shaft rubbing against something
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
ValeTudo
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna have to have a mechanic look at it again, and find a way to make sure that it makes the sound so he can hear it. Unless someone can confirm that this is the same sound as the "french horn", I'm stumped. At least I know that I'm not the only one, but it'd be nice to figure this out.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

yeah please update this thread or pm me because I can't figure it out either. It's embarrasing driving people in my car the conversation always turns to that noise.

Quick Reply: Brief sqealing sounds when starting to accelerate