4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Confused about suspension...

Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default Confused about suspension...

Okay guys, i've already had like 8 threads about suspension, but here comes another one. I've decided to get tokico struts for sure, but am unsure about other materials I would need with the install other than springs. Because of this, I've been looking into this Steeda kit, and it has 3 parts:

Unfortunately, Steeda's site does not allow links, so I will have to copy and paste the highlights..

Stage 1:
--Sport Springs lower the center of gravity and reduce body roll while maintaining good ride quality.
--Strut Tower and G-Trac braces stiffen the body structure, to stabilize the suspension during hard cornering and reduce body shake and rattles. Steeda G-Trac bars are included with 86-93 cars. 94+ have factory G-Trac style bars.
--Caster Camber Plates set proper alignment and improve caster geometry while eliminating suspension “slop” at the top of the strut tower. *(Some cars are equipped with these braces from the factory. The Steeda G-trac kit does not include a brace for those cars)

Stage 2:
--Stage 2 picks up where stage 1 leaves off, with major improvements in control and stability.
--Tokico shocks give outstanding control of wheel motion, increasing cornering grip and improving ride quality. Five adjustment positions allow tuning of understeer and oversteer, as well as ride comfort.
--Heavy Duty Reinforced Upper Rear control arms with improved bushings improve traction, stability, and are especially good at getting rid of unwanted "wiggle" and side to side travel in the rear end.
--Our exclusive Adjustable Rear Swaybar keeps the car flat during corners, eliminates understeer, and increases maximum cornering speed. It's easy to adjust, so you can tune the bar to match your driving style. And if you add more suspension modifications later, all it takes is a simple adjustment of the rear bar to re-tune the suspension for a well balanced car.

Stage 3:
--Aluminum Lower Control Arms reduce unsprung weight and dramatically improve traction and control while maintaining a smooth, quiet ride.
--Lightweight, high strength, Tubular Front Swaybar reduces body roll for flatter, more stable, and faster cornering.
--Our exclusive Offset Front A-Arm bushings push the control arms forward to improve weight distribution and steering response. Bushings are formed from special urethane compounds for ride quality superior to typical urethane or Delron.
--4130 Chrome-Moly Alloy Subframe Connectors reduce body twist and improve handling by strengthening the structure which supports the suspension. These connectors prevent fatigue from shortening the life of your car.

My question is, do I need to buy all three of these stages? Or could I buy all the parts separately and get it for cheaper, do I need all of this stuff to handle 650 hp? Thanks!

BTW: The total of these kits, not counting install or shipping is around 1800.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:54 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Confused about suspension...

What do you want to do with your car, autox, Drag race, or just have a good all-a-round street car? The upper/lower control arms will help you hook up better when you launch your car. the lower springs/shocks and struts will inprove your cornering and handlening of the car and will hurt the launch at the track a little. The rear sway bar will also help in the corners but no on in the 1/4 mile.

So do you need everything in all 3 kits..... well no you don't, but that depends on what you want out of your car.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I want it to ride very comfortably..which is why I am going with tokico. I also want good cornering, handling, and launching.
This will be a daily driver with the occasional street race and occasional 1/4 mi. runs.

This will also have to support 650-700 hp.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

650-700hp?!?!?!?!?!??!?! What are u crazy. What do you plan on doing?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:14 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Obselite

Okay, I want it to ride very comfortably..which is why I am going with tokico. I also want good cornering, handling, and launching.
This will be a daily driver with the occasional street race and occasional 1/4 mi. runs.

This will also have to support 650-700 hp.
If you are really going to have that much power I suggest that you focus on one area of performance, building an all around car with kind of power will take some serious money. Most people have no idea what 700 hp really is like.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:18 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

you cant have good launching and handling at the same time, you could compromise with adjustable struts / shocks but you wouldn't be "great" with either. A stiff suspension will help with cornering but hurt weight transfer for straight line performance. You've got to make a decision... either be descent with both or make one good and the other bad.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Well what would you prefer to do?

Would you rather have good straights or cornering? I think cornering, because straight line performance isnt gonna hurt THAT much.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Okay, since I have no damn idea what I need to get, if I bought this, would it include everyting i needed to have it installed?

http://www.drivewire.com/performance...systemkit.html

Would I need bushings or anything aside from this, im not sure what all is involved in a suspension kit.

thanks a lot guys, and thanks for being patient, im pretty ignorant when it comes to suspension!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Hehehe 600+ HP, and u say u just want a smooth riding daily driver, i would like to know what mods ur daily driver has hehehehe
Old 08-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

haha, thats why im tryin to figure this suspension out, i already have everythign else I need, but dont want to have a terrible ride (because right now i have a 2 inch drop with no bushings, HORRIBLE!).

anyone try this eibach kit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confused about suspension...