4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Threw a Rod on the KB Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
this is why i can't stand when people refuse to get a dyno tune because they got a canned tune off the internet that they say is "perfectly safe". doesn't KB have a warranty for their tune though? you and your tuner might want to contact them and let them know what happened, they may be willing to help you out a little bit if you talk nicely and kiss a lil booty (especially with your tuner doing the talking so they know you werent doing something stupid).

really sucks man but like said, maybe this is a good enough reason to get a MMR block :-)
Id take the KB tune over a lot of dyno shops. They spend countless hours on a load bearing dyno using an ECM AFM1000 lab grade wideband. As long as you install the parts that come with the Kit (air intake, MAF, TB so on) it should be extremely accurate.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
How many pounds were you running?
How many miles were on your engine?
How many quarts of oil do you usually run?
Were you getting it re-tuned? Have you had the kenne bell on before?
^THIS

Edit: Post this in the Kenne Bell section of SVTP and see what responses you get.

Also, I see some longtubes there so I assume you have full exhaust. Did KB know this when making your tune? I'm sure they did. How reliable are their tunes with full exhaust mods? Doesnt appear to be very reliable.

367 RWHP and 400+ TQ @ 5000 RPMS doesnt seem right at all for somebody with full exhaust and other bolt ons. Everything is pointing to the tune.

Have been following your car since you made your first KB thread. This SUCKS. At least you will be able to push the PSI up to 14 after the rebuild. But can your tranny take 480-500RWHP, same with the rear?

Unfortunately I'll bet KB wont be willing to do a thing for you. If you read through the HEAPS of paper/documents they give you they have a about a two page section that essentially says that they will refuse to even conversate about a car that was put on a dyno without a special expensive industrial strength wideband kit being used. They claim that a majority of tuners dont use these "OEM Quality" sensors and they are almost always off by 1-2 AFR. I will personally take a picture of this page and post it when I get home because i'm very very interested in the opinions of a few knowledgable people around here on the validity of that. Although I love KB and I trust a lot of what they say I think they may be exagerating this. Because essentially the message from these two pages is that all dyno tunes not done with an "OEM Quality" wideband sensor are 100% unreliable and a ticking time bomb.

As if I wasnt nervous enough about my first dyno pull on the KB, now i'm just down-right scared. >> I bought mine used so I wont be able to use the KB tune, I will go straight to the shop on that shop's baseline tune once it is installed. I trust this shop 100% they have done some killer mustangs.

Last edited by Hangwire; 04-16-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Hey man please give us full details on the specs of your car right UP to the event... I am literally about a week away from throwing my blower on my GT. This kinda has put a "halt" in my plans (a little bit at least). How many miles were on ur engine? How much boost were you pushing before it blew? Please give us all the juicy tech specs. Thanks man.

BTW, sorry for your loss. Hopefully this will work out better in the long run when you decide to throw in a MMR block and call it a day
Old 04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
How many pounds were you running?
How many miles were on your engine?
How many quarts of oil do you usually run?
Were you getting it re-tuned? Have you had the kenne bell on before?
I was running 9psi, and I had 52000 miles on the engine. I had the oil changed about 1000 miles before yesterday, so it was right where it should be. I was running the KB tune, never had it on a dyno ever before. This was going to be my first and final tune for my setup, but now obviously that all changed.

here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mHKvLsI4w
Old 04-16-2010, 12:18 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

so is this a "bad tune" scenario? or is this a stock motor that just couldn't handle some power? I got 47k on the dash
Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

a lot of you guys are wondering about my other performance mods and stuff, so I'll list everything that I had going on yesterday.. I had 93 octane pump gas in the tank:

Engine mods: 2.1 KB IC at 9psi with the big tube kit + 90mm MAF, BBK LTs, BBK Catted H, MAC 3" Catback, 75mm BBK TB
Old 04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
so is this a "bad tune" scenario? or is this a stock motor that just couldn't handle some power? I got 47k on the dash
Eric confirmed what I first thought when I saw that damn smoke.. it was the internal pressure in the cylinders that created the rod failure. So it was a stock engine that failed at 362rwhp and 427rwtq, again, not at redline, at 5000rpms

EDIT: I also had all my mods before I got the KB, so the tune was for my exact car/setup.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Where those the Windsor Rods or the little Romeo Rods?

Still all in all I think their is some luck involved. I had a bud that ran a stock Windsor 4.6, stock pump, stock tune with a 125 rwhp NX shot through years worth of bottles without a whimper. I would have blown on the first pass.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thunderhorse
Eric confirmed what I first thought when I saw that damn smoke.. it was the internal pressure in the cylinders that created the rod failure. So it was a stock engine that failed at 362rwhp and 427rwtq, again, not at redline, at 5000rpms

EDIT: I also had all my mods before I got the KB, so the tune was for my exact car/setup.
What spark plugs were you running?

This seems far too conveinant and simple to just write it off as "too much pressure." What makes Eric so confident its the "pressure" that caused this? How can KB do thousands of pulls on a stock motor and never throw two rods like that? Even people that take the risk to go up to 11 PSI on the stock motor either never have issues or at least get a few months out of it before it blows. You did it on your first dyno pull when it was "rich." I'm no tuner or engineering but i'll be frank this has nothing to do with "too much pressure"....absolutely nothing indicates that. Why did it happen to blow on the dyno? Youve probably done plenty of spirited driving without issues, I assume you didnt bring a knocking or pinging engine to be dyno tuned.

I would definitely call KB, talk to them and see if they will look at your data log file and see what their opinion is. According to them your engine will never ever ever fail simply due to the pressure of the SC and they have the testing to back that up. They break alllll of this down in the documentation they send you.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
Id take the KB tune over a lot of dyno shops. They spend countless hours on a load bearing dyno using an ECM AFM1000 lab grade wideband. As long as you install the parts that come with the Kit (air intake, MAF, TB so on) it should be extremely accurate.
wooptie doo. EVERY car takes to tunes differently. that is why **** like this happens. KB doesn't have their computers hooked up to HIS car when they mail him the kit. so they CANNOT predict how his car is going to take to the tune.

Quick Reply: Threw a Rod on the KB Tune