4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil Not Being Pushed to Driver Side of Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
davidguy

Unhappy Oil Not Being Pushed to Driver Side of Engine

I recently had my heads replaced and after putting everything back together started hearing a clicking noise on the passenger side of the engine.. Thought that it was the valve lifters, but replaced them all and was still getting the noise.. We finally figured out that oil was not getting pushed into that side of the engine.. it appears that the metal piece that shots out the oil is being clogged.. the driver side is pushing the oil perfectly, but not even a drop on the passenger side.. I believe that metal piece is milled into the head..

I was able to stick a needle completely through the holes where the oil is dispersed so im thinking that something is blocking that passageway from the inside..

Was curious what I should try before having to remove that head.. also is it possible to pull out that head without removing the engine on that passenger side???

Any thoughts??

This is my first post to the forum, though i read alot of the postings.. Thanks in advance.. =)
Old 04-17-2010, 01:37 PM
-ToXiC-
1st Gear Member

If you ran it without oil its going to have to be taken apart and at the least resurfaced I would think. And if it is a issue, I would hastle whoever you got the heads from for atleast a partial refund for the trouble.

You are going to need to pull the engine to take the heads off.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

you pretty much have to pull the head. you should be able to remove the head in chassis. the oil comes up from the block through the head gasket. its possible that the gasket is installed incorrectly. there have also been problems with people running cheapo oil filters, they break down inside and peices of rubber plug up the oil passages.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's a good description of the oil flow through the 4.6L 2V, thought it might be of some help...
Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Ok few things, toxic, don't post unless you know what your talking about.

1. Head can come off in the car.
2. I have no idea why it would need resurfaced. Out of the countless heads I've worked on none of them had a warped deck sirface because of oil
3. How long did you run it? You could have cam journal issues.
4. The head gasket could be the prob like said above.

Id pull the head and at the least have it checked out and throw a new gasket on it
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
davidguy

Thanks for all the replys.. looks like im going to have to pull the head.. I'll let you know what I find..
Old 04-18-2010, 11:36 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
Ok few things, toxic, don't post unless you know what your talking about.

1. Head can come off in the car.
2. I have no idea why it would need resurfaced. Out of the countless heads I've worked on none of them had a warped deck sirface because of oil
3. How long did you run it? You could have cam journal issues.
4. The head gasket could be the prob like said above.

Id pull the head and at the least have it checked out and throw a new gasket on it
your wrong, try pulling a head in the car with head studs haha.. im just poking fun

i agree with dime, depending on how long it was run i would really worry about your cam journals
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 PM
davidguy

Update - finally pulled the head out today.. blew some air through the oil reservoir and barely anything came out of the other end through the 2 pin holes.. so I covered up one of the pin holes and blew air the other way and some piece of rubber shot out of the reservoir.. I guess something got lodged in there while transporting the heads from the head shop to the car shop to the car.. at least I have all new valve lifters now and no other visible damage.. Im putting everything else back together again tomorrow for only the fourth time.. keep your fingers crossed for me.. =) Hope this never happens to anybody else..