4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01 GT Head Gasket issue - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

It is NOT the valve cover. You can see well enough where the oil is coming from. The black light die works. Have you ever used it? It sticks out like a sore thumb where there is a leak on a clean engine. On top of that I know the difference between a valve cover and a head. I built plenty of the old push rod Fords and Chevys to know general mechanics. I'm not some 20 year old kid with his first hot rod...

I was really hoping a mechanic that knows these inside and out would be hanging out here and would have a suggestion or two.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:06 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GalaxiePete
It is NOT the valve cover. You can see well enough where the oil is coming from. The black light die works. Have you ever used it? It sticks out like a sore thumb where there is a leak on a clean engine. On top of that I know the difference between a valve cover and a head. I built plenty of the old push rod Fords and Chevys to know general mechanics. I'm not some 20 year old kid with his first hot rod...

I was really hoping a mechanic that knows these inside and out would be hanging out here and would have a suggestion or two.
Never used it for oil, but I have used it for A/C leaks and it works quite well. I just find it odd since I haven't ever seen a case of it on here or any other mustang forum either. Still, I say just change the gasket rather than get a whole new engine. Even if there are imperfections, it will take a long time for them to show back up. Probably longer than you would have the car.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

well since you are sure it is a head gasket and you have enough automotive knowledge to say so then what kind of responses were you expecting??? the only true way to find out whats going on is to remove the head and physically inspect both the block and head surfaces for imperfections. If you want to be 100% sure it doesnt happen again then get your heads resurfaced, lightly sand the surface of the block if need be and slap some new head gaskets on. Head gaskets can weap on any car (i didn't know mustangs were notorious for this problem???) it seems like you are taking this to the extreem because you've read a couple articles telling you so. just to warn you taking the heads and everything off for the at home mechanic is a pain in the a$$ i've done it and will not do it again unless absolutly necessary. seems to me you are trying to avoid it also or you wouldn't be looking at new engines due to a bad head gasket.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
well since you are sure it is a head gasket and you have enough automotive knowledge to say so then what kind of responses were you expecting??? the only true way to find out whats going on is to remove the head and physically inspect both the block and head surfaces for imperfections. If you want to be 100% sure it doesnt happen again then get your heads resurfaced, lightly sand the surface of the block if need be and slap some new head gaskets on. Head gaskets can weap on any car (i didn't know mustangs were notorious for this problem???) it seems like you are taking this to the extreem because you've read a couple articles telling you so. just to warn you taking the heads and everything off for the at home mechanic is a pain in the a$$ i've done it and will not do it again unless absolutly necessary. seems to me you are trying to avoid it also or you wouldn't be looking at new engines due to a bad head gasket.

+1. I would pull the engine before attempting to do the heads with it in the car. Takes me 4 hours tops to pull it.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

What did I expect or what did I hope? It is not like I ran out and discovered the problem after I had it happen. I have heard about it for over 10 years. I have personally not seen it in a Mustang though. An Explorer and a Trucks - yes I have seen both. That's why I knew about it. I did go find some TSBs and stuff because I heard "never heard of that". It's not that Mustangs in particular are notorious - 2V modulars are. Sure any can weep but there is a difference between a rare occurrence and one so common it has spawned a dozen TSBs. I am going through about a quart of oil per 1000 miles now versus no measurable drop over 4500 miles about 7000 miles ago. I put about 7k on it in the past year. This year I would probably double that. But I planned it as my daily driver for this summer since I just sold my truck I didn't want to rush out and buy a new vehicle. But going a week or two without a car is not an option. I was really hoping to get a person or two who had experienced dealing with it to to discuss it with. If I knew it wouldn't get any worse, I would sit on it for a while.

Yes, there is no doubt the heads would be resurfaced if I pull them. Probably touch them up if need be. Wouldn't touch the block most likely since every Ford manual I have laid hands on says not to dare scratch the block because it will not hold a seal with stock style gaskets after that. But there are gasket types out there different from the stock ones. Has anyone used them in this situation? Are they any good? I'd be concerned using them because of the torque to yield head bolts even though I am sure they were designed to be used with them.

I really don't want to do it myself right now. But nobody will touch the job for under $2400. That's one hell of a lot to spend just to do the head gaskets. So I might do it, do you really need to pull the engine to change out the gaskets? From JC's new post it sounds like it is the best bet. Looking at it I don't believe you absolutely need to; but it looks like an absolute PIA and I have never pulled one of these apart. If I am going to have to go so far as to have to lift the engine anyhow, it isn't much more work to pull it and makes the work a lot easier.

JC - Did You just disconnect the exhaust or did you have to pull the manifolds?