4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01 GT Head Gasket issue - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Default 01 GT Head Gasket issue - What to do?

Well I have developed the 4.6L head gasket oil leak. I don't have the time to work on the engine myself at this point and I am wondering what route to take. The car has 87k on it and I have owned if for 86k of them. It's been a strong stock motor and I have not done any performance mods to the engine. The mileage makes me really wonder. I have run Mobile1 10w30 for the life of the car.

I am thinking I have 4 options with varying budgets.

First option. Do the gasket on the one head that is leaking oil and leave everything stock. From what I have heard, this is a temporary patch and the chances are I will have the problems again in a few thousand miles.

Second Option. Do both gaskets and leave everything stock. I would have to resurface the heads without a doubt. But without doing the block? What are the chances it will hold?

Third Option. Do a head upgrade - say to Patriot Stage II heads. Leaving the rest stock for now. The heads run $1400 a set. What's the chances if I do this the problem will re-occur? While I am on the subject I think that is a Windsor engine in the 01 (mine is a late 01 build), but how do I tell for sure?

Fourth Option. Do an engine replacement. I located an 02 OEM motor - complete with everything including alternator, injectors, TB, Wiring Harness, Sensors, etc. The price is right ($3600), but I run the risk of having gasket issues again.

I am wondering who really knows these engines and the issues with the repair. On a side note, what gaskets are best these days?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

I'd just replace the gasket until you have time to work on the thing yourself... that's how you save the most money.. DIY!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Quick99
1st Gear Member

Heres a alternative.........alot cheaper than a new one. E-bay item...110441038931
Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Not a bad thought. The Truck engines don't make as much power though. I wonder how much modding you would have to do? I looked, never bothered to figure it out until now but I have a Romeo engine.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

BTW - Found some great articles in doing some searching that talk about Romeo vs Windsor and the differences within each plant:

99-04 4.6 Engines:
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...hc_engine.aspx

Pre 99 4.6 Engines:
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti..._ford_46l.aspx

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...re_corner.aspx

Torque patterns and amounts:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/651.shtml
Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Anyone know if you really have to do an Engine R&R to pull the heads? Seems excessive, but I know it is tight.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

First off, what is the HG oil leak? I haven't heard of it. Second off, what have you done to diagnose that it is actually a HG. Do compression test, be sure about this. If water is getting in the oil, there are several places this can happen including the oil filter adapter plate gasket.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
blueberry

Originally Posted by GalaxiePete
Well I have developed the 4.6L head gasket oil leak.
What are the symptoms? Bad seals maybe?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Ok, To bring you up to date, 4.6L & 5.4L 2V engines have a known issue with developing an oil leak through the head gasket. It is documented in many TSBs. One that specifically calls out my model is TSB 03-6-2 http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...php?tsb=03-6-2. I was assuming that was sort of common knowledge I have know about it for years and if you Google for it you will find a number of Ford bulletins on it. It affects both the Romeo and Windsor engines to differing degrees. I don't know if it affects any of the 4V engines. You will find oil seeping between the head and the block either on the right back of the engine (seems most common) or on the Front left (much more rare).

It was professionally diagnosed by cleaning the engine, adding a luminescent die to the oil and running the engine. The oil was escaping between the head and block in the right back of the engine. It runs down over the starter and across the car from there. It is not at least at this point a leak into the cylinder that I am aware of.

You don't need a leak down test or anything like that to diagnose it since it does not at least immediately impact compression. Ford claims it is not a big issue - it isn't until it is too late and mine is leaking pretty good now. It is in the high pressure oil feed (HPOF) to the head - how is that not a big deal? It started about May of last year and eventually it got worse. It started puddling on the floor in the garage last fall. I thought it was the front seal, which was also bad. It lit up under the light so we replaced that. Well the drip continued and there is about a softball sized patch after a week of driving on the garage floor. What I have heard is that it will eventually get bad enough that you can not drive it. Some more info here from someone other then me: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...l_engines.aspx

The issue with the head gasket replacement on these engines is that if you want to use the recommended gaskets, you need perfect surfaces and this is apparently why these engines leak - imperfections. Often it is due to metal chips being wedged in between the head and cylinder causing the slightest of imperfections in the gasket. The heads are damaged by imperfections leaving depressions in them and will eventually leak. The effect that causes the issue is called brinnelling.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I think you are overreacting. It could be something as simple as the valve cover leaking. You really can't see all that well back where it is, so it could be a number of things. As for replacing the head gasket, it should be pretty simple. It would take over the life of the car to start leaking again even if there were imperfections. I think your mechanic is trying to bend you over here.

Quick Reply: 01 GT Head Gasket issue - What to do?