4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5-speed tranny shaking when starting off in 1st??

Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM
noroofonthecoupe
Gimme a cupcake & a pat on the head

Default 5-speed tranny shaking when starting off in 1st??

I'll give you a play-by-play so you know what Im talking about. I'll hit the clutch, put it in 1st and if I dont give it enough gas by the time I let off the clutch the tranny (or rear??) will shake/vibrate. Its only in 1st and only when Im going from a complete stop usually when I don't give it enough gas....any thoughts? I try and give it more gas and it usually takes care of the problem, this is my first 5 speed I don't know if this is normal. The clutch is pretty fresh so I doubt its that. And I really have no issues driving other then that it catches good I get good power through all the gears so whats the deal? Maybe time for tranny fluid flush?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
blueberry

There is a point when you release the clutch that the engine is about to stall if you dont give it gas. It's normal. Unless the shaking is crazy like earthquake crazy.

Since it's your first 5 speed just practice lifting your clutch leg and pressing down on gas the same time. Before you know it, you'll be driving smoothly.

Last edited by blueberry; 04-19-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

Get your flywheel resurfaced. Or just get a new lightweight one.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BAKnBLK2010
Get your flywheel resurfaced. Or just get a new lightweight one.
Why? Theres no need to do that. He just needs to learn how to drive it better.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

yeah if you let off the clutch too early you car will shake pretty violently (if it has enough gas to NOT stall, but not enough to smoothly accelerate). You need to work more on finding the "sweet spot." no problem with your car, just need to learn you clutch a little better. no worries!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
tranceaddict
1st Gear Member

i had the same exact problem and it turned out being the clutch. it did that for about a week then the tob blew out and the clutch disk tore appart. get under the car and take the inspection cover off and try to get a look at the tob and the clutch disk
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by noroofonthecoupe
I'll give you a play-by-play so you know what Im talking about. I'll hit the clutch, put it in 1st and if I dont give it enough gas by the time I let off the clutch the tranny (or rear??) will shake/vibrate. Its only in 1st and only when Im going from a complete stop usually when I don't give it enough gas....any thoughts? I try and give it more gas and it usually takes care of the problem, this is my first 5 speed I don't know if this is normal. The clutch is pretty fresh so I doubt its that. And I really have no issues driving other then that it catches good I get good power through all the gears so whats the deal? Maybe time for tranny fluid flush?

If you ride the pedal a lot when letting it out you create hot spots that can only be fixed by resurfacing the flywheel, will never get better till you do, if that is the problem!

You said the clutch is fresh, how fresh is it? Like not broke in yet? (around 500 miles)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

not saying this is the problem, but it could be. my friend got a cobra clutch installed in his car a while ago. he was experiencing the same problem you are. when he would take off the clutch would chatter alittle bit though the engaing point then be fine. it was almost like the clutch would grab then let loose quick which produced the chatter. anyway he brought it back to the shop and it tured out the guy installed the clutch wrong fixed it and everything was fine after that. could be the prob just thought i'd share.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
noroofonthecoupe
Gimme a cupcake & a pat on the head

Doubt it's the clutch I think it only has a couple thousand miles on it, and it engages fine in every gear. Could be my driving but I doubt it'd be causing all that, I drove 5 speed Jeeps, and civic si's and celica's before non of them were mine and I didn't drive them everyday but I had less experience then and experienced no such problems. One of my buddy's said there's a piece that connects your drive shaft to the rear diff and it's supposed to soften or absorb vibrations he said that his g/f has the same issue with her Z4 that sometimes it gets oil in it or it just gets worn out and needs to be replaced anyone familiar with this?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

Since you don't have trouble in othe gears I'm betting on left/right foot control. Just give it a little more gas when taking off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5-speed tranny shaking when starting off in 1st??