MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   My dohc engine/ super charger is making noise! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/59769-my-dohc-engine-super-charger-is-making-noise.html)

Milky 08-02-2005 04:05 AM

My dohc engine/ super charger is making noise!

I just recieved a new car. Its a 96 gt convertible. Its got a 2001 cobra crate engine swapped in with about 5000 miles and a rebuilt t-5 with the same new mileage. It can be considered stock in the engine except:

Fluidyne radiator
New Pro-M maf for sc apps, procharger running 7psi
New wires
New fpr, new 1/2in rails, 42# injectors, two walbro 255 pumps
Stainless steel fuel filter, -8/-6 AN fuel lines

The car seems too perform well though when I am in gear after about 2k RPMs a sound from the supercharger that is somewhat loud starts up. I don't know what it is because I am not yet familiar with the engine or the blower sounds. Could this be a belt making the sound or bearing, or a fan in there or something? Any opinions advice or insight would be helpful.

ZW99GT 08-02-2005 04:46 AM

RE: My dohc engine/ super charger is making noise!

Superchargers will emit kind of a whining sound. Its kinda hard to describe. But does it sould like a whine?

Milky 08-02-2005 05:08 AM

Well I do know the typical supercharger whine and this is not it. This sounds like metal scraping metal, flat to flat if that makes any sense. Its loudest when Im accelerating and push in the clutch to up shift into a higher gear. The sound corresponds to the rpms-when I let off the gas to upshift the rpms comes down as does the pitch of the sound.

Another thing that was mentioned to me when I recieved the car was a valve that lets out excess pressure from the blower. I'm sorry I'm not knowlegable when it comes to blowers whatsoever.. This valve seems to constantly whistle though not too loud, is that normal?

nanaki 08-02-2005 09:04 AM

do you at least know what type of blower it is? centrifagul blowers make a whistling noise, twin screws and roots make a whine.

jdaniel 08-02-2005 10:27 AM

My Kenne Bell makes a ratteling noise when at idle. I took it apart and found that its due to it being gear driven and the gears had a little backlash in them. I called Kenne Bell and they said it was fine as long as it doesnt make that noise during acceleration and that its gonna have a little backlash in the gears. But thats for a Twin Screw.

Milky 08-02-2005 01:52 PM

SOrry I should have mentioned, its a centrifugal. Procharger p1SC, 3 core intercooler.

blueangelfightr 08-02-2005 04:39 PM

Maybe the internals are loose? That would explain the scraping sound.

Milky 08-02-2005 06:13 PM

The internals of the super charger? Is something like that repairable?

blueangelfightr 08-02-2005 06:19 PM

Of course it is. It may be the gears or bearings or could even be the impeller which would be a pain to fix. Take it to a shop and have them look at it. The metal to metal scraping can cause damage if you don't get it fixed and if that's what it is. I say take it to a shop.

04BlueGT 08-02-2005 10:49 PM

Do they have sealed lubrication, or is it external? I'm not experienced in this and I'm curious.