4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

weak points in 4r70w

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:22 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

u say that a shift kit reroutes and increases line pressure... now i know that is what you do with a tuner. it increases the pressure in the lines... but an actual shift kit, from what ive always heard, provides stiffer springs requiring more force to push them making the shifts firmer and faster. i have a shift kit sitting at my house. so i know for a fact springs are replaced and thought that was the basis behind it...

http://www.txchange.com/transgo.htm
^ this is what ive always heard. i dont see how this would decrease life of a transmission
reprogaming with a tuner yes i agree that does but not a shift kit

Last edited by rman101; 04-24-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Ok Bro dont listen to a Ford Transmission Engineer. Go put it in your car and have fun. Jerry Wroblewski is clueless.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

I'm not discrediting the J-mod or Jerry at all. Of course he knows his ****. but on the other hand shift kit company's (reputable ones) wouldnt be around and have such a reputation that they do if the product they had was garbage. notice in his explanations he says "some shift kits" not all. so im sure there are shift kits out there that are just fine, Im not fully convinced that the J-mod is the ONLY way to go. im reality my trans-go shift kit does basically everything u explained his j-mod does (modify the springs drill out the holes). mine doesn't reroute and increase line pressure as u said... thats what my handheld tuner would do...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:48 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

ok, thank you that helps so much! and so if im using my diabloport tuner and it quickens and slightly firms my shifts, my transmission wont last as long?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:47 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

and where could i buy the j-mod?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:03 AM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

yes using your tuner to increase your shifting will increase line pressure (its how it firms up your shifts) creating more heat meaning more stress on your transmission getting a cooler will help no matter what so you should look into one. and the J-mod. look in the post on page one those links will show you how to do it.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 AM
splou

Anyone have any experience with this firm BC Automotive?

http://www.bc-automotive.com/html/co..._body_kit.html

It looks very similar to J mod but I like the idea of bolting on instead of doing all the mods to my own valve body.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I have that exact kit in my car. I highly recommend it. What you're buying is a ready-to-go stock valve body with the J-MOD already done by Darrin @ BC automotive. Good guy with a lot of knowledge. Call him and tell him your car and what setup you have. Depending on drivable you want it to be he will either tell you to totally discard the bottom spring(there is a top in both) of both the 1-2 accumulator and 3-4 or he will give you really soft springs to put there. Honestly tell him to hold the springs, just discard the bottom spring in both your accumulators. Either you want the transmission to shift firm and fast or like a lincoln town car.

If you have a stock tune you pretty much wont feel a thing other than the accumulators make a little more noise. With a tuner to put shift pressure at +25% it feels like a totally different transmission.

There are a few things. That site is old and never updated, when I called he told me the price was like $375 when it clearly says 300 but he agreed to give it to me for 300 so you could probably do the same. He will also charge you $70 extra if you do not return your stock valve body to him after the install. You have a few months to return it after purchase so you should be fine.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Im not tryin to discredit Hangwire or anythang but i've had a shift kit in previous cars before and i loved it. It worked great. Not 1 issue occurred. I later added in a trans cooler due to i'd take it to the strip. Plus just for insurance. It worked out fine. I had also a temp gauge. No issues whatsoever. If anyone needs 1 i have a brand new Transgo shift for sale. Just pm. I was gonna put in my dd stang but then i traded her away for an 05 stick because a great deal came by. Really its just 2 different approaches to the same issue. Transgo has been around for a long time & they will continue to be.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

so would you guys recommend me not using the tuner for now until i get a TC or the j-mod, or both? because i dont want to do anything that will shorten the life of my transmission, i just cant afford everything right now to fail-proof it

Quick Reply: weak points in 4r70w