4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Stripped motor mount nut

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Default Stripped motor mount nut

So yea theres always something going wrong lol. When I went to take the motor mount off I noticed one of the nuts/studs was a little rounded (I didn't remember it being like this when I put it on last time). I tried getting it off and it just kept getting worse and worse so now its pretty much effed. I see two options, leave it on the way it is becaues I really don't need to take it off, or get a reverse drill bit and try drilling it into the end of the stud and get it out that way. The problem with the first idea is that if I ever need to replace the mount with the motor in the car IDK how I'd get it off. The problem with the second idea is that its gonna be kinda hard to get enough torque using a reverse drill bit to get a motor mount stud out. What do ya guys think?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Did you strip the bolt, or round the head of the nut?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smythge
Did you strip the bolt, or round the head of the nut?
The nut. The nut is attached to the stud in the middle
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have a set of these, however to be honest they don't really work all that well on badly rounded nuts...

Your best bet might be to not worry about it for now and when it does have to come off someone good with a torch or plasma cutter will be able to get it off easily.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Well, I always say, if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it. If its tight & you have no reason to take it off- just leave it alone.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by kenv
Well, I always say, if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it. If its tight & you have no reason to take it off- just leave it alone.
My problem is always that knowing it's there bugs the crap out of me...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I have a set of these, however to be honest they don't really work all that well on badly rounded nuts...

Your best bet might be to not worry about it for now and when it does have to come off someone good with a torch or plasma cutter will be able to get it off easily.
Yea I have a set of those too, but since its attached to the stud in the middle (IDK what you call a stud with a nut attached to it, its like a bolt/stud lol) I would need a deep one of those and I haven't seen any.

I thought about having someone torch it off, but my block is aluminum and seeing as its right up against the block I can't imagine that turning out well.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by jvog
Yea I have a set of those too, but since its attached to the stud in the middle (IDK what you call a stud with a nut attached to it, its like a bolt/stud lol) I would need a deep one of those and I haven't seen any.

I thought about having someone torch it off, but my block is aluminum and seeing as its right up against the block I can't imagine that turning out well.
A small torch tip, or a plasma cutter, in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing will be very brief and localised heat. Aluminum conducts heat so well that a big block of it is a bìtch to heat up...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
A small torch tip, or a plasma cutter, in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing will be very brief and localised heat. Aluminum conducts heat so well that a big block of it is a bìtch to heat up...
Oh alrighty. So the only problem with me leaving it on is if I ever need to replace the mount the motor will have to come out to do so. No way a plasma cutter is gettin in there
Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by jvog
Oh alrighty. So the only problem with me leaving it on is if I ever need to replace the mount the motor will have to come out to do so. No way a plasma cutter is gettin in there
If you can get a wrench on it a small cutting torch tip, or hand-held plasma torch, can get to it...

Quick Reply: Stripped motor mount nut