4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 GT Won't start...more info inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 AM
~Serf

Default 98 GT Won't start...more info inside

Ok everyone, I'm new to posting here so bear with me. I'm at work right now and would like some ideas to take home with me before I tear into it.

The Problem: I have a pretty stock 98 GT and just drove it yesterday no problems.

Today the car won't start. Power locks are fine. Put the key in ignition, turn it to ACC, all lights and indicators come on fine. Turn the key to start and all I hear is a soft 'click' behind dash. (Although I haven't listened for fuel pump so I don't know about that) Starter doesn't seem to be getting anything.

History: Car had starting problems in the past due to a small remote switch I had installed(after a period of not driving it the battery would be weak). The switch has been removed and battery replaced. I have been driving it for several weeks with no problems until today.

Thanks all!

~serf
Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

i mean is your battery dead? Check your battery AND alternator to see if one of the two is going out
Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ~Serf
Ok everyone, I'm new to posting here so bear with me. I'm at work right now and would like some ideas to take home with me before I tear into it.

The Problem: I have a pretty stock 98 GT and just drove it yesterday no problems.

Today the car won't start. Power locks are fine. Put the key in ignition, turn it to ACC, all lights and indicators come on fine. Turn the key to start and all I hear is a soft 'click' behind dash. (Although I haven't listened for fuel pump so I don't know about that) Starter doesn't seem to be getting anything.

History: Car had starting problems in the past due to a small remote switch I had installed(after a period of not driving it the battery would be weak). The switch has been removed and battery replaced. I have been driving it for several weeks with no problems until today.

Thanks all!

~serf

OK there are a few things to try..
DO you have a meter?
You need to check the voltage across the battery terminals, you want 12.5-13V.
You now need a second person to crank the car for you. Crawl underneath, and bang the starter with a hammer while the other person cranks. If that still doesn't work, examine the connections on the starter itself, might be corrosion on one of the wires. One of my rangers had a starter wire so corroded it broke in half lol. Had to replace that one...

If the battery is dead, you need to examine why. Jump start the thing and if it stays running, the alternator may be ok, but may be damaged only slightly and not charging enough. Limp it to autozone, and they can load test the battery and the alternator for FREE!

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM
~Serf

Originally Posted by devongarver
OK there are a few things to try..
DO you have a meter?
You need to check the voltage across the battery terminals, you want 12.5-13V.
You now need a second person to crank the car for you. Crawl underneath, and bang the starter with a hammer while the other person cranks. If that still doesn't work, examine the connections on the starter itself, might be corrosion on one of the wires. One of my rangers had a starter wire so corroded it broke in half lol. Had to replace that one...

If the battery is dead, you need to examine why. Jump start the thing and if it stays running, the alternator may be ok, but may be damaged only slightly and not charging enough. Limp it to autozone, and they can load test the battery and the alternator for FREE!

Good luck!
Ok, thanks for the help....the battery is good which I was pretty sure of but better to check anyway. I jacked her up and jumpered the solenoid and it turned over fine. So, clutch switch or starter switch I guess? Man I hate electrical problems. 20 years in USAF working on B-52s and the like. Cars or planes those problems stink.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:54 PM
~Serf

<update> Pulled off the clutch safety switch and jumped it....car started right up. 90 dollar part ru kidding me? for a switch....argh.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

<update> Pulled off the clutch safety switch and jumped it....car started right up. 90 dollar part ru kidding me? for a switch....argh.
Wow, I honestly have never seen one of those fail before...never would have expected that.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

90 bucks OMG!!!!!!! I believe a trip to the salvage yard is in order to scavenge some extras!!