4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bone-stock dyno #'s, 87, 89, 92 octane tunes on SCT.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:33 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Bone-stock dyno #'s, 87, 89, 92 octane tunes on SCT.

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

do you guys get 93 octane from a pump at a normal gas station? I don't think I've ever seen 93, just 91.

it depends where you live. here we can get 87/89/93.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Citco's premium unleaded gas is 93 and so is Sunoco Ultra. You pay a stiff upcharge on premium right now. Usually Citco's premium 93 will sell for the same price per gallon as Sunoco's normal premium that is now only 91 octane. I think Mobil's premium is 92. I don't know around where you guys live, but Mobil gas is the absolute highest price around Upstate New York....about $2.59 to $2.65 per gallon! Ya, ya, I know California would love to be paying only that right now. But, as Forrest Gump would say, "Stupid is, as stupid does." California definitely beats to a little different drummer.....California is, as California does! You're still getting porked on gas out there.

Unless you are advancing your timing, putting high compression heads on your engine or making other major mods, there is really no need to use 93 octane. Besides, if you supertune your car with one of the electronic devices on the market today, I doubt there would be too much difference between running 91 or 93. I am sure you can push the timing, tune, etc. a bit to compensate for using 93 but I tend to think that would make your engine awfully sensitive to very high octane fuels to the point where, unless your tune was dead on perfect all the time, you might experience knocking (preignition) on a rather regular basis. I suppose you can run 93 and additives all the time to make sure you don't damage your engine with poor quality gas. I kinda think that is a big pain in the *** most of the time. Whatever, enjoy your Stang and its new found ponies.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Besides, if you supertune your car with one of the electronic devices on the market today, I doubt there would be too much difference between running 91 or 93.
Maybe you missed the whole point of this thread.. but I was showing that is a sginificant difference when you tune to a certain octane level (advance timing). the difference between 87 and 89 gave me almost 8 RWHP, and from 89 to 92 another 6 RWHP... yet you think there are no gains to be had from running a 93 octane tune over a 91 ???
Old 08-03-2005, 05:07 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Citco's premium unleaded gas is 93 and so is Sunoco Ultra. You pay a stiff upcharge on premium right now. Usually Citco's premium 93 will sell for the same price per gallon as Sunoco's normal premium that is now only 91 octane. I think Mobil's premium is 92. I don't know around where you guys live, but Mobil gas is the absolute highest price around Upstate New York....about $2.59 to $2.65 per gallon! Ya, ya, I know California would love to be paying only that right now. But, as Forrest Gump would say, "Stupid is, as stupid does." California definitely beats to a little different drummer.....California is, as California does! You're still getting porked on gas out there.

Unless you are advancing your timing, putting high compression heads on your engine or making other major mods, there is really no need to use 93 octane. Besides, if you supertune your car with one of the electronic devices on the market today, I doubt there would be too much difference between running 91 or 93. I am sure you can push the timing, tune, etc. a bit to compensate for using 93 but I tend to think that would make your engine awfully sensitive to very high octane fuels to the point where, unless your tune was dead on perfect all the time, you might experience knocking (preignition) on a rather regular basis. I suppose you can run 93 and additives all the time to make sure you don't damage your engine with poor quality gas. I kinda think that is a big pain in the *** most of the time. Whatever, enjoy your Stang and its new found ponies.
our governer would own yours. we have a lot of gas taxes here, but that's the price you pay for the best weather in the world. I wonder if there no 93 here cause of emissions reasons.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

All I am saying is tuning specifically for 93 octane would probably make your engine very, very octane sensitive to where you may even have to add an octane boost on top of the 93 to make the car run at its best. Not all high octane gases perform the same in different vehicles. I run Sunoco premium in my Aurora's Norstar 32V engine and it loves it. I was riding on fumes one day and out of necessity had to settle for Hess 89 in my Mustang GT. Guess what.....the car has run better on Hess than either Sunoco or Citco. Go figure? The most important thing to do when buying gas is stick with the same brand as much as possible.....ya, just listen to me, huh....Hess? All oil companies have their own preferred list of additives they put in their fuel, especially premiums. Your car's computer will tune your engine for optimum running on any given fuel you continuously put in your tank. You can sense in one tankful who's gas may be best to stick with for your particular car. Also, buy gas where they have a high turnover so you can avoid the possibility of getting water in your tank.

Go find some 93 and tune her up for that octane. I would be curious to see how much additional power you get out of your engine. Might be surprising either way......who knows.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:52 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

wouldnt 93 give less emisions??

correct me if im wrong
Old 08-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

All I am saying is tuning specifically for 93 octane would probably make your engine very, very octane sensitive to where you may even have to add an octane boost on top of the 93 to make the car run at its best. Not all high octane gases perform the same in different vehicles. I run Sunoco premium in my Aurora's Norstar 32V engine and it loves it. I was riding on fumes one day and out of necessity had to settle for Hess 89 in my Mustang GT. Guess what.....the car has run better on Hess than either Sunoco or Citco. Go figure? The most important thing to do when buying gas is stick with the same brand as much as possible.....ya, just listen to me, huh....Hess? All oil companies have their own preferred list of additives they put in their fuel, especially premiums. Your car's computer will tune your engine for optimum running on any given fuel you continuously put in your tank. You can sense in one tankful who's gas may be best to stick with for your particular car. Also, buy gas where they have a high turnover so you can avoid the possibility of getting water in your tank.

Go find some 93 and tune her up for that octane. I would be curious to see how much additional power you get out of your engine. Might be surprising either way......who knows.

Uhmm.. well yes of course tuning for 93 means you are advancing timing and possibly leaning mixture further.. so yes it is more octane sensitive in that you NEED 93 octane all the time. If your having to add octane booster on top of 93 fuel then obviously you went to far with the tune. Once it's set though it's set and as long as you use the right fuel it should be fine, whether it's a 87 or 93 octane tune so I don't see what your trying to say. It's not the GAS performance were talking about here.. it's the MOTOR performance.. using higher grade gas just allows you to tune the motor to a higher performance level.. so ya of course you can get better performance out of a lower octane gas on a car, the reason being that you never should have been using the higher grade gas at the tune you were at to begin with. The whole idea is the whatever you run, you should tune the car to the THRESHOLD of knock, then back off a little bit... and not beyond, this will maximize performance at that octane and not damage the engine. By using higher grade gas than you need you are wasting money and possibly losing a bit of power.

I can't get 93 octane here (OR) so that's why I went with a 92 tune. Based on results so far I'd guess maybe another 2-3 HP increase if I could get 93.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Don't really have a clue about 93 octane fuels (premiums) giving less emissions. Actually regular gas has more explosive power and may burn more completely than premiums. Premiums are simply regular fuels loaded up with anit-knock additive(s) and, if you're lucky, fuel system cleaners to help your engine keep from carboning up. Actually not a bad idea to use one of those carbon-cleaning fuel "system" additives from time to time to make sure your entire system is functioning at 100%. Valvoline Synth Power "fuel system" cleaner in the gold bottle is great stuff and works in only about 100 miles. Don't forget a new fuel filter every 15,000 miles or so.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I know in some places in Massachusetts, they have Sunoco 94 and 93 at the same pump.. It's almost $.10 difference too..

Now with the Octane thing.... If you run premium, it burns cleaner than regular fuel... Most, if not all of the fuel is spent during it's cycle, than regular fuel, which I believe burns hotter..

Now with Regular (87), higher compression/F.I. can cause pre-detonation also known as pinging, which can be very harmful for performance, and for your engine... That's why when you run a turbo/SC/NO2, or much higher compression, you need to run higher Octane fuels, to ensure predetonation doesn't happen... It is also safer to advance your timing, knowing that you don't have pinging going on. If you advance your timing w/ 87 when you already had predetonation, it would most likely make the problem much worse...

Look at some of the good race gases (102, 112, 12x), those burn up almost completely, and if tuned correctly, can add anywhere up to 20hp... I've seen it on turboed imports.. It's amazing.. I'm willing to bet that on a stock GT, you could probably expect a 5-10hp increase with a simple tune, and 102 Octane..

Anyone know Chemistry well?? Can anyone clarify any of my statements??

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....
Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

if the regular fuel burns hotter, it should burn cleaner. Also, the flame front will probably spread faster with lower octane, so it would seem cleaner to me. Plus the octane additives are probably bad for emissions.

Quick Reply: Bone-stock dyno #'s, 87, 89, 92 octane tunes on SCT.