4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

drilling/slotting own rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default drilling/slotting own rotors

Well I've read all sorts on slotted vs drilled and this is NOT onf of those threads. my GT is a DD and I don't do heavy braking and I know that blank rotors and some quality pads would be great, but I would also a little "bling" in the wheels. SO, I was considering slotted/dimpled rotors and some hawk pads.

My question is, are the drilling/slotting of rotors done in any special way? I work at a gear manufacturing place and I have access to a full machine shop (CNC etc.)

I was wondering if it would be possibe to buy some decent blank rotors (save the money over slotted/drilled) and do it myself? I would simply have a program wirtten to have a slotted/dimpled pattern milled out.

Anyony with any input would be great, just an idea my boss and I thought of. I can't imagine the rotor material being anything special (too hard) after they are made since they can be turned/re-faced at machine shops.

Thanks guys
Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

just spend the extra 25 bucks and get drilled and slotted rotors
Old 05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Holy Sh*t.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

where did you get a $25 differance from?

I was thinking of going with either the slotted or dimpled and slotted from here:

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...1910&ad=direct

but then thought to get blanks from AZ and machine them.

so my question still stands...is it possible/wise to machine your own blank rotors regardless of price differance vs labor time for me?

once I find the slotted rotors I like, I will then weight the price vs labor factor in.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Holy Sh*t.
have something to say?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

do yourself a favor and get new drilled/slotted rotors. dont try to drill your own.

you just have to ask yourself this - at 100 miles an hour or whatever speed you cruise at if you dont ever go that fast - would you trust a rotor that wasnt designed to be drilled/slotted, that you drill/slot slot yourself or have someone do for you?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:44 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Yes. You are stupid to even waste time thinking about doing this. Why dont you go tape a garage door seal to your bumper instead of a chin spoiler. That's about how good of an idea this sounds.

Do you want me to explain how stupid it is or do you understand what i am saying>?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I understand all the forced and all that goes into braking...I was simply asking if people knew what went into drilling/slotting rotors.

I have acces to those machines and would be cool to do, that's it. I love how when people have a odd/out of the box question that defies most people's opinions you get comments like devon's.

if the depth of slot, the arc radius and length all play a CRUTIAL role in the braking capability of a slotted rotor and needs to be specifically calculated/designed then fine, i wouldn't even bother. MOST of the slotted configurations are a simple arc, some are straight slots some are even a "dashed line" type. just goodle slotted rotors and look at the diff designs.

even these crazy *** things:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/brake...mOne_rotor.jpg

this wasn't meant to be a "im going to buy blanks and do it myself" more of a "IF someone was to do it, what are all the factors that must be considered into doing it?"
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Yes. You are stupid to even waste time thinking about doing this. Why dont you go tape a garage door seal to your bumper instead of a chin spoiler. That's about how good of an idea this sounds.

Do you want me to explain how stupid it is or do you understand what i am saying>?
bold statement since you don't know anything about me nor my capabilities.

but I'm all ears, since you are coming off as knowing all there is to this topic, so why dont you explain why and HOW stupid this idea is. any technical information is always welcome to understand something and not just say it's dumb idea
Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Thumbs down

Holy Sh*t.
I second that!

Drilled rotors do nothing except be the second type of cool. Slotted do have some effect but if you want them then pay the little extra. (Although unless you're a twisty track monster, you wont notice the difference.) Besides, unless you're a machinist you couldn't do it.

***Right now I'm picturing Barney Fiffe with a drill trying to drill rotors, lol.***

-MoTarded

Quick Reply: drilling/slotting own rotors