4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my cars performace is really starting to make me mad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 AM
George01TA

Default RE: my cars performace is really starting to make me mad!

I had a stock 99 auto GT that did the same thing. I never could find out what was wrong with it but the guy who I sold it to did. Turns out the A/C drain was leaking water on an 02 sensor and making it read messed up while driving. He just ran a line from the drain away from the sensors and that fixed it. It's been a year and the car hasn't acted up since.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

One last problem may cause this situation.....an infamously cracked intake manifold. The hotter the engine gets, the bigger the leak becomes. I do not see any visible sign of a leak on my manifold, however. Of course Ford has now been ordered by the courts to settle its cases of bad plastic manifolds with the public. Don't really know when the details will be worked out but check this out:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/leg...ree.18jn05.htm

If our manifolds are cracked, Ford will inspect and now change on THEIR dollar to a newer manifold design.This whole hesitation thing is just one gigantic PITA.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

One last problem may cause this situation.....an infamously cracked intake manifold. The hotter the engine gets, the bigger the leak becomes. I do not see any visible sign of a leak on my manifold, however. Of course Ford has now been ordered by the courts to settle its cases of bad plastic manifolds with the public. Don't really know when the details will be worked out but check this out:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/leg...ree.18jn05.htm

If our manifolds are cracked, Ford will inspect and now change on THEIR dollar to a newer manifold design.This whole hesitation thing is just one gigantic PITA.

the manifold wouldnt cause his car to run funny. mine leaked too. he'd just lose coolant and overheat.

try a high end brand name of 93 octane gasoline. like shell or chevron.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
mxracer1618
1st Gear Member

yea my car isnt leaking at all ( cept 4 my rear haha ) but i did put 93octane gas as suggested and it defently made an improvement but did not come close to fixing it
Old 08-06-2005, 03:14 PM
lookin4stang

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

Had the SAME problem:

The fix: New plugs, plug wires, and MAF... MAF being the key component.

yeah that sounds right to me
Old 08-06-2005, 06:34 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mxracer1618

yea my car isnt leaking at all ( cept 4 my rear haha ) but i did put 93octane gas as suggested and it defently made an improvement but did not come close to fixing it

you'll have to run through a tank to make sure it gets in there good. if it's still doing it, then i'd look into replacing parts. check your wires and your MAF, if they check out it's most likely it's an ignition or fuel problem. hope you can pinpoint it.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:38 PM
orange04
2nd Gear Member

what is WOT?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

WOT=Wide Open Throttle. And this has happend in my 2000 v6 before and a different tank of gas put it back on line but sometimes you just get the **** gas.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:16 PM
starcam
1st Gear Member

When you put on your mac cai with the 90 degree turn, did you use the gasket or put the screen back in?
I first put on the gasket, and wasn't impressed, then I put the screen back in and seemed to get some power back.
Because of the 90 degree turn in the cai, the air becomes turbulent which you don't want, the screen makes the air flow more uniform.
Also if you have the screen in, it may be slightly tilted, and possibly cause problems, I've heard.
The screen has a rubber gasket around it, but it will seal, not as flush as the gasket would.
The key is to have a max velocity air flow to the intake, make sure you have your clamps on the cai tight and adjusted properly.

I'm curious you say the power kicks in a little while after u stomp on it, how long is the delay?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 AM
mxracer1618
1st Gear Member

does sound kind of fimiliar, when i had my mitsu 3000gt i put an intake on it and took out 2 combs thinking it would help but instead messed up how the maf was reading the air because of the turbulance like you said. but when i bought my gt it already had the intake on it. where is the screen located right at the angle? i will look in the daylight tomorrow

it does this at differnt times through out my rpm range. it booges down then will suddely run like it should and jump up and go then bog right back down

Quick Reply: my cars performace is really starting to make me mad!