4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Threads in crankshaft are f***ed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Threads in crankshaft are f***ed!

Recently I have been having problems getting my harmonic balancer to completely seat on the crank and today I found out why. I tried to install my balancer today and when I took out the install bolt the threads were all messed up!

Please tell me it is possible to re-thread the crank? and without having to take the crank out?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

You may have to helicoil it but I see no reason a reputable machine shop couldn't do it.

Just be careful that you find a good place
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Default PICTURE UPLOADED

This is how far I can thread the bolt in by hand without running into any resistance. Also the washer is on, that is what I am holding in the picture. I bought a new bolt from Ford today to make sure I had fresh bolt threads (fyi this is the actual bolt that secures the harmonic balancer on, not the install bolt). I cleaned out the hole on the crank with a magnet and there was a bunch of metal filings in there?? Dunno what the hell happened.

But since the only threads that are messed up (i presume the threads are messed up) are in back could I run a tap threw the bad threads? Tomorrow I am going to run a q-tip or something in there to make sure it is completely cleaned out.
Attached Thumbnails Threads in crankshaft are f***ed!-000_0029.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black_GT_02
You may have to helicoil it but I see no reason a reputable machine shop couldn't do it.

Just be careful that you find a good place
I dont know what helicoil is.. and do you think that they would have to take the crank out? Thanks man!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

from what i've seen with replacing helicoils, yes they will want the crank out UNLESS they can get to the back side of the crank while its in the motor. this may or may not be the case, so bring it to a machinist and see what he's gonna do.

helicoil is when they drill a hole larger than what is in there now, re-thread it with a tap, and basically "screw" a spring looking thing into it which "decreases" the larger hole back to the original size and is threaded.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Sniper6677
2nd Gear Member

How exactly are you going about trying to install the crank pulley? I had some issues when i switched to a March fluid dampened pulley...
Old 05-20-2010, 03:56 AM
b96gtman
1st Gear Member

they wont have to remove the crank. a guy i talk to on Mod fords just tapped and helicoiled it while the crank was in the motor.

OR

just tap the hole to the next size up VERY carefully and use a grade 8 bolt that is the right size and u will be fine. i have known 2 people that have done this repair and their cranks are fine lots of miles later.

do u have a piggy back style underdrive crank pully? if u do this cud be why u have a problem piggyback style pullys create a wobble sometimes that can cause damage to your cran and its threads. they are pieces of freakin ****!!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

1st just get the SAME size tap as the bolt is and chase the threads, you probably just have a bit of something in there causing it to be rough.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sniper6677
How exactly are you going about trying to install the crank pulley? I had some issues when i switched to a March fluid dampened pulley...
Steeda provided a install bolt that is a little longer then OEM bolt to seat the pulley enough for the OEM bolts threads to catch. Ya know what I mean? haha

Originally Posted by b96gtman
they wont have to remove the crank. a guy i talk to on Mod fords just tapped and helicoiled it while the crank was in the motor.

OR

just tap the hole to the next size up VERY carefully and use a grade 8 bolt that is the right size and u will be fine. i have known 2 people that have done this repair and their cranks are fine lots of miles later.

do u have a piggy back style underdrive crank pully? if u do this cud be why u have a problem piggyback style pullys create a wobble sometimes that can cause damage to your cran and its threads. they are pieces of freakin ****!!
I have a underdrive crank pulley.. my best guess is something got in there when I rebuilt the engine. I dunno really ha.. I just want my car running again!!!

Originally Posted by jjandascog
1st just get the SAME size tap as the bolt is and chase the threads, you probably just have a bit of something in there causing it to be rough.
This is what I planned on trying tomorrow because the only threads that are messed up in towards the back. HOPE IT WORKS!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for the input! Ill let you know if just getting the same thread size tap works! I pray it does.. helicoiling sounds like a bitch hah

Quick Reply: Threads in crankshaft are f***ed!