4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need serious code help OBDII experts come in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default Need serious code help OBDII experts come in.

no CEL but it did throw a code on the ODBII scanner after running around.

Recap of whats been replaced:
MAF
IAC
Coolant temp sensor
vacuum hose
Plugs + Wires
Coilpacks (not replaced but tested and found good)
number 7 fuel injector and all o rings top and bottom o n other injectors

Codes: P1516
Manifold Control Vehicle speed
Idle speed control (TPS?)
Auxalliry Inputs

Also when going to another screen it listed the following

Catalyst mon INC
Sec air INC
02 Mon INC
02 sheater INC
EGR system mon INC

Now at this point i have found the manifold control vehicle speed is my IMRCs, probably gunked up so i will have to get my intake off and clean and possibly port or alter them, possibly make a short runner?

However the other codes i need help with so please chime in.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As you stated, the P1516 is indicating a mechanical problem with the bank1 IMRC (click here for more)

The other "codes" (there are no other codes listed in your post) look like yous scantool's way of reporting that the OBD2 "readiness" tests are INComplete for the indicated systems--they should also be a P1000 code.

It will take two or more drive cycles for them to be completed...
Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
As you stated, the P1516 is indicating a mechanical problem with the bank1 IMRC (click here for more)

The other "codes" (there are no other codes listed in your post) look like yous scantool's way of reporting that the OBD2 "readiness" tests are INComplete for the indicated systems--they should also be a P1000 code.

It will take two or more drive cycles for them to be completed...
Nice link,

The OBDII sensor said there was only 1 code top right displayed 1 of 1
and Code: P1516

Manifold Control Vehicle speed
Idle speed control
Auxalliry Inputs

all of that was desplayed under it Does that mean that is all related to the IMRC since only one code was thrown?

I understand that the other things that came back INC were there because the car wasn't driven long enough and that makes sense but are all 3 of those Manifold control vehicle speed/Idlespeedcontrol/ Aux inputs all related to the first code?

Appreciate the help i was hoping you or the other guy whos name escapes me right now would chime in.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I think your scan tool is attempting to be "helpful" by offering potential causes that are not what Ford says the problem is. Many of them do this, and do it with such authority that I'd like to have half the money people spend replacing parts that are not bad based on what a generic scantool (or the salesperson at their FLAPS) tells them.

Ford says P1516 is a bank 1 IMRC mechanical problem-period, I don't know where the tool you are using came up with those other issues--other than that they look sort of like other manufacturer's descriptions of P1516.

The P1000 code is sometimes not shown by scantools, they just use it to trigger the OBD2 readiness tests incomplete listing.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I think your scan tool is attempting to be "helpful" by offering potential causes that are not what Ford says the problem is. Many of them do this, and do it with such authority that I'd like to have half the money people spend replacing parts that are not bad based on what a generic scantool (or the salesperson at their FLAPS) tells them.

Ford says P1516 is a bank 1 IMRC mechanical problem-period, I don't know where the tool you are using came up with those other issues--other than that they look sort of like other manufacturer's descriptions of P1516.

The P1000 code is sometimes not shown by scantools, they just use it to trigger the OBD2 readiness tests incomplete listing.
Got it, tom or this weekend i'll do a teardown and get to the IMRC hopefully its just gunked up and thats the only problem, appreciate the help.