4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I messed up my clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
postmastrr

Default I messed up my clutch...

So last night I was at the local race track, and they had a burnout pit with a $150 pot for who ever put out the most smoke. So I threw my old tires on and headed out with the intention of making those bald tires even more bald. I got in the pit and smoked through 1st and 2nd, and then went for 3rd-Bad idea. Before I could realize it, I was pouring smoke out from under my hood. Yup, it was my clutch-the smell pretty much gave it away. I got in the car today, and started driving around, and its still gripping, but not till the pedal is alllllll the way up. But its ok, i've been wanting a stage 2 since I plan on doin a kenne bell setup. I'm already dynoed at 315 RWHP, so it was only a matter of time till that clutch died on me. Here's the problem-I have longtubes. BBK infact. Which means the header has to come off. I did the headers myself and I swore i would never do it again, even though it only took me 8 Hours by my self. Anyways-Does anyone know of a clutch replacement sticky? i've never worked on a clutch and i guess theres a few things that are kind of important, like lining up the pressure plate and disc or something. Let me know guys, I actually feel horrible i did this to my car and i need to fix it asap so i can stop feeling bad haha.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by postmastrr
So last night I was at the local race track, and they had a burnout pit with a $150 pot for who ever put out the most smoke. So I threw my old tires on and headed out with the intention of making those bald tires even more bald. I got in the pit and smoked through 1st and 2nd, and then went for 3rd-Bad idea. Before I could realize it, I was pouring smoke out from under my hood. Yup, it was my clutch-the smell pretty much gave it away. I got in the car today, and started driving around, and its still gripping, but not till the pedal is alllllll the way up. But its ok, i've been wanting a stage 2 since I plan on doin a kenne bell setup. I'm already dynoed at 315 RWHP, so it was only a matter of time till that clutch died on me. Here's the problem-I have longtubes. BBK infact. Which means the header has to come off. I did the headers myself and I swore i would never do it again, even though it only took me 8 Hours by my self. Anyways-Does anyone know of a clutch replacement sticky? i've never worked on a clutch and i guess theres a few things that are kind of important, like lining up the pressure plate and disc or something. Let me know guys, I actually feel horrible i did this to my car and i need to fix it asap so i can stop feeling bad haha.

Hey man the same thing happened to me. But I wasnt at the burn pit I was actually going down the drag strip. A buddy replaced my clutch and man he said it was a bit**... Good luck dude...

Last edited by Soldier GT; 05-20-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 PM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

i had mines replaced and the first thing the guy at the shop asked me if it had long tubes on it i told him no and he said good! sounds like you may have your hands full if this is the first time. goodluck!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hot sauce
i had mines replaced and the first thing the guy at the shop asked me if it had long tubes on it i told him no and he said good! sounds like you may have your hands full if this is the first time. goodluck!
Yeah man I forgot to mention that. After my buddy replaced mine he told me that he would never do that again. OP not trying to scare you are anything but it's a hard job bro. I'm preety sure with a little patience you'll get it done. Good luck..
Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Replacing a clutch isnt that hard, just time consuming. The clutch kit will come with the tool that aligns the disc.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

yeah its not that hard i just did mine,something that might make everything for you easier is if you take out the k-member,then you have access to everything, as far as replacing the clutch,the starter and the top 2 bolts were the hardest thing to take out,i got rid of the bracket that is on the top of the tranny that uses the same bolts as the tranny, i had it fall down in between the trans and motor 3 times when reinstalling so i got pissed and took it out, all it does is hold the clips for the 02 sensors up high,also once i had the tranny part way in i had to go up by the motor and push it down to get the spline all the way lined up, but if you can take the k-member down it will make everything alot easier for you.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 AM
postmastrr

Soldier-I have a Mach 1, not a gt. This would explain my numbers. The Mach 1 put out 305 factory so I'd say the headers and the JLT intake make the biggest difference. I talked to the local mustang shop and they said they could do it for 600$ if I supply the parts. I think it's worth it considering the massive headache that comes along with doin it. I work too many hours as an F22 mechanic plus working on the house takes up most of my time. I'm thinking about going with a ram flywheel and stage 2 clutch. I've heard that that's what you wanna go with when it comes to mustangs. What do you guys think?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Replacing a clutch isnt that hard, just time consuming. The clutch kit will come with the tool that aligns the disc.
its not the clutch that will be hard its having to take off the long tubes to do the clutch and then put them back on.

Last edited by hot sauce; 05-21-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: have sleep
Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I replaced my clutch when i bought the car, but I had it up on jack stands doing the exhaust to begin with so I said why not. It wasn't that difficult, just took em a while. But grab a beer and a buddy and it's not so bad...The longtubes however, will blow. If you can afford it, take the 600$ easy way out.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

im not douting anyone here, but how do the LT's get in the way??? i did my LT install myself and it didnt seem, from what i remember, like they were in the way of the tranny. ive been wrong before tho...

Quick Reply: I messed up my clutch...