4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are gauges needed when installing an S/C ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Yes I am going to a shop, so now at least I know I can wait for the gauges.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I am using the (AEM Wideband A/F) and (AutoMeter Phantom Series Boost/Vac).
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

I have a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. My 3rd one would be fuel pressure.

Why not A/F? Becuase I do not have the ability (or the knowledge really) to tune my car, so I let a professional do it. Simple as that.

Boost for atheistic reasons (and to help "stay out of boost" when trying to conserve fuel)
Oil gauge so I know if my oil tap blew out of the bottom of the oil pan
and my third gauge would be fuel pressure gauge, to make the the engine is getting fuel

ALTHOUGH, A/F would be important if you didn't have somebody you trust tuning your car...
Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
c9tyseven

i would get a knock sensor to my buddies 03 cobra was predetonating and we didnt even know it endend up melting the #6 cyl pretty bad so he got a knock sensor and a exhaust temp gauge.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
Why not A/F? Becuase I do not have the ability (or the knowledge really) to tune my car, so I let a professional do it. Simple as that.
It's not just for tuning, it's also helpful when driving. A fuel pressure gauge is only going to let you know that the system has pressure, nothing more. A wideband gauge is going to tell you what's actually reaching the cylinders. Say an injector starts to go bad, or you foul a plug. You're going to see that on the AFR gauge and not lean on the engine causing it damage from running lean or rich.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

wideband at least gives you some useful info while driving.anything else is not needed unless you are trying to trouble shoot a problem, then they are nice to have . i have a AEM wideband and innnovate motorsports LC1 , but i also have a boost and fuel presure gauge just for the hell of it!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:36 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

I have a wideband (I do my own tuning) and a boost/vac gauge. The wideband is absolutely essential to make sure that you're not on the fast track to destroying your engine, and if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a supercharger I don't get trying to skimp out on a $200 gauge that can easily save your engine.

The boost/vac is nice to make sure I'm getting good vacuum at idle, and it is really easy to hook up. I always get a little scared of using an oil/fuel pressure gauge and risk have hot oil or gas spray in my car or engine bay if something goes wrong.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

no fuel line in the car with my autometer phantom fuel presure gauge. if that were the case i wouldnt have one.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I don't think any gages are absolutely necessary unless you're pushing the ragged edge. Then you might find a wideband A/F ratio gage useful. I'm not running a handheld tuner. I'm running a chip and couldn't tune the car myself even if I wanted to. But I am running a conservative tune that's pretty safe.

Still I'm runnig a boost gage and a fuel pressure gage. I think a fuel pressure gage on a returnless system is pretty useless. The needle just jumps up and down with the throttle movement as the ECU adjusts pressure across the injectors for changes in vacuum and boost. The boost gages only function is to assure you that your supercharger is still working after you get used to the extra power. Besides, when you need the information the most... approaching 6000 rpms... you don't have time to look at your gages.

But, for appearances, you need two gages in an instrument cluster bezel giving them a built in look. One of them must be a boost gage. That way when people look at your dashboard they know you're running a supercharged Mustang.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
One of them must be a boost gage. That way when people look at your dashboard they know you're running a supercharged Mustang.
The blower whining usually gives that away j/p.

Quick Reply: Are gauges needed when installing an S/C ?