4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stripped COP bolt totally Fed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Default Stripped COP bolt totally Fed

Been trying to track down a situational missfire lately. Changed all spark plugs last weekend didnt fix it. Also put a brand new COP on Cyl #6 because that was my first guess. So today I figured Id swap that brand new COP to a diff cylinder hoping its only one COP thats bad. Well it simply wont come out, you can crank and crank on the wrench and it just spins. So I tried pulling on the cop with my hand while unscrewing, after about 40 mintues with my fingers aching and tired I grabbed a nice 1/3rd inch thick screwdriver. I'm literally prying up with with every ounce of strength and weight I have against the valve cover while cranking the ratchet and this COP absolutely p-o-s-i-t-i-v-e-l-y will not budge one little bit.

The screwdriver is flexing and the whole car is rocking back and forth from the pressure. At this point i've pretty much ruined my brand new ignition coil because the screw-head just keeps eating into the top of the COP housing and I cracked the COP where the clip goes in just from pulling up with my hand. I'm tired, sore, cut up and pissed the **** off. The dremel tool is out and ready to roll if I cant find some sort of better alternate idea. I'm just gonna start hacking **** off.

Put your thinking caps on.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Cutting the screw head off with the Dremel tool sounds like a plan.

Then buy a set of WeaponX COPs, they don't use or need the mounting screws as their machined connectors just snap on to the plugs...
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Cutting the screw head off with the Dremel tool sounds like a plan.

Then buy a set of WeaponX COPs, they don't use or need the mounting screws as their machined connectors just snap on to the plugs...
Ever heard of it being seized like this? I cant figure out why. If the insert is broken loose then prying this hard should certainly pop it out. I just gave it one last hurrah and the bitch aint comin out. If I stripped the threads It should just pull out...or at least I should be able to continue ratcheting to further strip the rest of the threads so it will come out.

How much is a set of weapon X ignition coils? I'm looking at their site and if I understand correctly this is what i'll need. At $270 thats a lot cheaper than the $480 it costs for stock replacements from advance auto and worlds cheaper than the $744 price tag to replace them from Ford. I was under the impression based on what you've said in the past that these COPS are more pricey than stockers, they don't seem to be. Unfortunately I dont wanna throw my dyno money at a set of COPS without knowing if theres only one bad or a few bad. But the blower isnt going on until this missfire is gone. Its very minor and only happens 1500-2200 when under load and some decent throttle but I cant have that.

I've been staring at this darling KB in my room since April and saved for a year to buy it and i'm finally ready money wise to put it on and now this ****. Gahhhhh.

Edit: Once I cut the head of the screw off the problem will still exist i'll just have a bolt stuck in there, what do do from there? Maybe it will be easier to diagnose the issue or pull the insert out? Where can you get replacement inserts? I dont think it will be much of an issue whatsoever to just drive around with it not bolted on, the damn things are loose even with the bolts as it is. I'm sure I can just rig something or tape it up temporarily until I get a permanent fix which will have to be weaponx cops, a new insert or just not worrying about bolting it on. This blows.

Last edited by Hangwire; 06-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They recently reduced the price, as their production volume has increased the cost per unit has gone down...

I have seen many kinds of tooth-gnashing, hair-pulling, swearing like a drunken sailor seized up things in my life--few surprise me anymore.

One thing to keep in mind whenever dealing with the spark plugs or COPs on our cars is that Ford's recommended service interval is 100k miles--I.e. they were expected to be removed and reinstalled 2 or maybe 3 times in the life of the vehicle.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I might grab a set of these then. I want a KB blower whine, and I want it now.

Take a look at the questions I just added in the edit section of the above post, what do I do for now aside from cry?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Once you cut off the screw head you should be able to get a good purchase on the remainder of the screw shaft and hopefully a good straight pull will yank the insert out. Once it's out you should be able to hold the insert and back out the screw.

Use hi-temp expoxy to "glue" it back into the manifold. Finding a replacement wil be difficult, although it would be a simple thing to make with a small lathe.

The screws are only supposed to be torqued to 7lbft; which is close to nothing. They get overtightened a lot because people expect the COP to be held tightly by the screw--which as you have found out is not the case.

Get a bottle of wine and wedge a piece of the cork in between the fuel rail and the COP; or a piece os resilient foam or whatever...
Old 06-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

this happened to me on #1, it seems like the insert was just spinning in the intake. so i cut the head of the bolt off with a dremel and left the rest of bolt in there to support the coil. it's a little loose but it hasn't given me any trouble
Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...products_id=64

Ordered a set of these today. Only options for shipping was "Flat Rate" or "UPS Ground" wish I could have overnighted them. No tracking number or delivery estimate either thats kinda anoying. Trying to call them for that info get nothing but voicemail. Either way hopefully these will solve my issue. If they dont, I guess i'm looking at a bad injector or cylinder head damage causing this slight miss?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...products_id=64

Ordered a set of these today. Only options for shipping was "Flat Rate" or "UPS Ground" wish I could have overnighted them. No tracking number or delivery estimate either thats kinda anoying. Trying to call them for that info get nothing but voicemail. Either way hopefully these will solve my issue. If they dont, I guess i'm looking at a bad injector or cylinder head damage causing this slight miss?
You ever get these put in? I'm suprised you never read my sticky...you would have known all about the price of factory replacement COPs (whole set for 85$)
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Been trying to track down a situational missfire lately. Changed all spark plugs last weekend didnt fix it. Also put a brand new COP on Cyl #6 because that was my first guess. So today I figured Id swap that brand new COP to a diff cylinder hoping its only one COP thats bad. Well it simply wont come out, you can crank and crank on the wrench and it just spins. So I tried pulling on the cop with my hand while unscrewing, after about 40 mintues with my fingers aching and tired I grabbed a nice 1/3rd inch thick screwdriver. I'm literally prying up with with every ounce of strength and weight I have against the valve cover while cranking the ratchet and this COP absolutely p-o-s-i-t-i-v-e-l-y will not budge one little bit.

The screwdriver is flexing and the whole car is rocking back and forth from the pressure. At this point i've pretty much ruined my brand new ignition coil because the screw-head just keeps eating into the top of the COP housing and I cracked the COP where the clip goes in just from pulling up with my hand. I'm tired, sore, cut up and pissed the **** off. The dremel tool is out and ready to roll if I cant find some sort of better alternate idea. I'm just gonna start hacking **** off.

Put your thinking caps on.
Did you use dielectric grease on the COP to Spark Plug connection...?