4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tuner questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
ragleyracer

Default tuner questions

I just put an x pipe with flowmaster mufflers, typhoon intake, throttlebody spacer, and cold air intake on my 2000 gt auto. What kind ofn tuner should i get, and wat other mod would you recommend?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

gears gears and gears , then sct for a tuner
Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

What are your final goals for the car? Nitrous? Supercharger? Turbo? NA?

The tuner you should get depends on your desire to do the tuning and your final car goals. If you want to keep your car NA, or if you want to have a shop tune for you, then I've heard SCT is the most universal. Their tuning suite will suit you just fine. However, If you want to learn how to tune yourself or you plan on doing some more aggressive modding, then there are other, more flexible options out there. Sniper makes a phenomenal Commando package for about $650 that will give you complete control over your car's performance. You'll be able to tune for a supercharger, nitrous, new cams, new engine, turbos, and damn near anything else you can do to the car. It'll take a while to learn everything, but once you do you'll have complete authority over everything your car does.

So, if we knew a bit more about your end goals/desires we could be more helpful.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by My1stGT
gears gears and gears
ditto. 3.73 if you are stick, 4.10 if auto, that is usually the consensus around here. And if you are a 5spd, then maybe a STS too.

For a tuner, I like my Sniper, like the guy above me said, it gives you full control over your car, I don't have the commando, but once my baby gets a bottle, I am going to upgrade to it. SCT and Diablo are nice, heard plenty of good things about both, but you will only get email tunes for them, someone who really knows nothing about your car is going to send them to you. Or you would have to take it for a dyno tune and would have to make sure the shop uses your brand of tuner. Where as, with the sniper, you install the software on a laptop, you can have 5 custom tunes loaded on the device, but say you need something different or feel like trying something out, then, take said laptop to the track, and you can sit there and change the tunes right at the track.

So, final thoughts are this, if you know what you are doing or are willing to learn more about tuning, get a sniper. If you just plan on changing the octane and tuning for gears, get a SCT or Diablo.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:31 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i actually scooped up my commando kit for about 500, but it only had one bullet. the way i see it, you're gonna pay 270 bucks for a 4-bank eliminator chip from SCT, probably the cheapest tuning package out there that is widely used by mustang dyno tuners. then, if you want a "real" tune and not just an emailed guesstimate of a tune, you're gonna hafta pay for time on the dyno, which i imagine will be around 100 bucks, then pay for the tuner to dial in a tune for you based on his judgment, which you may not agree with, probably another 100 or so bucks. oh and to get an accurate reading the tuner will need to use a wideband on your car, which you don't hafta purchase, but he will hafta drill a hole in your exhaust and install a bung and the shops wideband o2 sensor, which God only knows when it was ever re-calibrated, which will end up costing you more money. then, to make matters worse, you have a good tune for a dyno, not necessarily for the track or for street performance, where many different variables take play that do not exist on a dyno.

in summary, you just spent the same amount of money to get someone to tune your car on a dyno when you could have bought the whole package yourself and done all the tuning yourself to your own liking in a real world environment. and the best news is that with the sniper package (now actually called delta force) you can do as many tunes as you want! ive had the kit for 3 months and have already gone through about 10 or 15 tunes, with plenty more to go. of course if you'd rather just save the hassle and let other people do all the work on your car and blindly trust their "better" judgment, then by all means go for it. im just not that trusting of a person
Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
NaughtyGeek
1st Gear Member

SCT has software to do the tuning yourself as well. It's called the Pro Racer Package. Pricing is comparable between the SCT and Sniper options. I have the SCT package but if I had it to do over I would go with the Sniper package. The Delta Force package allows you to tune quite a bit that the standard SCT handheld does not and allows you to tune 2 vehicles. The downside with the Sniper packages is that not near as many shops use it as the SCT software so if you decide you want your car tuned by a professional you may not be able to with the Sniper package unless you switch to SCT. Before you purchase anything, check with the reputable shops in your area and see what they are using. Online support for tuning is almost nonexistent so even if you're doing it yourself, you may need to consult with someone else in your area.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ragleyracer
I just put an x pipe with flowmaster mufflers, typhoon intake, throttlebody spacer, and cold air intake on my 2000 gt auto. What kind ofn tuner should i get, and wat other mod would you recommend?
I would go with a dyno tune. But before you tune, complete your setup.