4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to mount speaker crossovers...

Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
fender1983
1st Gear Member

Default How to mount speaker crossovers...

I am installing new Bostons Acoustics SR60 in my doors. Any ideas how and where to mount crossovers?

I can't come up with anything besides using 3M tape and attaching them to outer door skin...

These crossovers are huuuuuge...
Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

those are large cross-overs, I wouldn't mount them on the door unless you can keep them from rattling or coming loose, most cross-overs are nothing more than a capacitor diode which you connect them inline with the speaker wires, unless they are real cross-over which looks like a spool of copper wires, I'd bet if the cross-overs you show are light in weight they are nothing more then a capacitor.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
fender1983
1st Gear Member

It is passive crossover, which has Capacitor and solenoid.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

the big enclosure looks nice but, you can get the rate of the Capacitor, inductor not needed and just buy two of them which would cost about .99c for both at Radio shack or the likes and run them in serials like the picture shows.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
fender1983
1st Gear Member

Hah, I didn't think about it!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i just doubled over some duct tape to keep them in place at the bottom of the door. it's been a year and a half and still no problems
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
the big enclosure looks nice but, you can get the rate of the Capacitor, inductor not needed and just buy two of them which would cost about .99c for both at Radio shack or the likes and run them in serials like the picture shows.
No, you can't. i won't go in to details, but you will not be happy with the sound quality from the sh!tty components found at the shack. Not only are they the wrong type of capacitors, they are poor quality. Needless to say, BA components are nothing to sneeze at. Don't mess with a perfectly designed crossover. You can mount them in the glove box, under the dash, inside the door panel, in the trunk, any where you want to really, all you need is to run the wiring to and from.

If you still feel you would rather do something more compact, go to partsexpress.com, or jameco electronics. They have everything you need.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
No, you can't. i won't go in to details, but you will not be happy with the sound quality from the sh!tty components found at the shack. Not only are they the wrong type of capacitors, they are poor quality. Needless to say, BA components are nothing to sneeze at. Don't mess with a perfectly designed crossover. You can mount them in the glove box, under the dash, inside the door panel, in the trunk, any where you want to really, all you need is to run the wiring to and from.

If you still feel you would rather do something more compact, go to partsexpress.com, or jameco electronics. They have everything you need.
lol, whatever
Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
lol, whatever
Disagree? You certainly do need the inductors BTW, and the capacitors are in parallel...just sayin...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

fender1983, if you go to RS, you will see that all their electronics they have are no different then anywhere else, they even have everything for building speakers, woofer, midrange, tweeters, enclosures, wires everything you need, I don't know what devongarver is talking about that "the wrong type of capacitors, they are poor quality" lol, they are all built in china and are all identical, just like computer parts. fender just do what your gut tells you, the human ear can't detect the range differences from different capacitors, like cd player, our ears can’t distinguish the sound difference between a $1000 cd player and a $40 cd player.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to mount speaker crossovers...