4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ooops I broke it

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Fivaldrood
2nd Gear Member

Default Ooops I broke it

Ok well I didn't do it, it just broke itself!

Starting yesterday my 2003 GT just started shutting off, while driving. The engine would just die. It happened twice yesterday, didn't really think much of it.

Today as my wife and I made my way over to my parents it did it twice more, which now had me worried.

My dad and I took it out to grab a new fuel filter(long shot but worth a try) and by the time we got home you had to keep your foot into the gas to keep it alive. It won't even idle alone, if you try to start it, it starts fine then dies.(Stays running if you give it gas)

I'm personally a computer guy, my dad and brother(car guys) think it might be the fuel pump.

Any thoughts from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: We did change out the fuel filter and my dad couldn't even blow the slightest of air through it, so (as i'm told) it was very clogged. Which my brother thinks burnt out the fuel pump.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 AM
Boost Logic
Banned

Any codes?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 AM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

IDLE AIR CONTROL VAVLE. i called it so no one else even needs to read this,

happened to my v6 back when i had it, happens to gt's all the time, explorers, rangers, etc you name it. i love ford but i hate their power steering pumps, iac vavles, and 4.6L spark plugs.
the part is going to cost you about $70 from motorcraft/ford and you will probably need a new gasket with it so thats $5. if you see the new one you wont even need to ask where the old one is or how to take it off. i know with my v6 it was 2 bolts and a wire and it was off.
end thred

Last edited by fordforlife0225; 06-30-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordforlife0225

happened to my v6 back when i had it, happens to gt's all the time, explorers, rangers, etc you name it. i love ford but i hate their power steering pumps, iac vavles, and 4.6L spark plugs.
the part is going to cost you about $70 from motorcraft/ford and you will probably need a new gasket with it so thats $5. if you see the new one you wont even need to ask where the old one is or how to take it off. i know with my v6 it was 2 bolts and a wire and it was off.
end thred
This.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

fuel pumps when they go bad typically do not "intermittently" work or "struggle" to work. they are either on and running or broken and dont do ****.

so does it only die while you are idling, or does it die while you are driving and have your foot on the accelerator? if it dies while you are driving i dunno bout the iac valve.

like someone else asked, is there a service engine soon light on?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Boost Logic
Banned

Originally Posted by fordforlife0225

end thred
Sharp shooter
Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Fivaldrood
2nd Gear Member

No service engine light is on.

It will stay running as long as you keep it above idle. One of my neighbors is a mechanic at the local ford dealership, he said he's 99% sure its the IAC.

Thanks fordforlife0225 and everyone else for the quick responses
Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Metatrox

so was this the problem?
Old 07-03-2010, 03:15 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

you know how many write ups iv done on those damn vavles. i did one in the v6 section that was perfect, had pics and all but it never made it to a sticky so i dont know where it went.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Fivaldrood
2nd Gear Member

Replaced the IAC yesterday and it now runs like a charm!

So yes this was the issue, thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ooops I broke it