4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

engine chatter

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:08 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I listened to it using my studio headphones and the good news is that I definitely did not hear any pinging, which is what I thought you were describing as "chatter".

What type of blower do your have, centrifugal or twin-screw?

It did sound like the engine was misfiring--though I am not really certain I heard the noise to which you refer, is it low or high pitched? Is there a loss of power?

I would pull the plugs and check them, and do a compression check while they were out.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 PM
v8.GT Stang
1st Gear Member

+1 do u feel lose of power ..

i think i replaced my spark plugs in 1yr because i had misfire too
Old 07-03-2010, 06:45 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I listened to it using my studio headphones and the good news is that I definitely did not hear any pinging, which is what I thought you were describing as "chatter".

What type of blower do your have, centrifugal or twin-screw?

It did sound like the engine was misfiring--though I am not really certain I heard the noise to which you refer, is it low or high pitched? Is there a loss of power?

I would pull the plugs and check them, and do a compression check while they were out.
I have a centrifugal blower. Procharger to be exact. I can't tell you if there was a loss of power because just the other day I ran it at the track for the first time. It feels plenty strong to me but once again I never beat on it until just last week so if you were to ask me now I would of course say "no." Is it possible that my spark plugs went bad already? On average do they go bad this fast? Also, what gauges do I need to be safe? I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, I hear the sound from the moment I press the gas pedal down and to be as accurate as I can I would say it was more high pitch but not screeching loud. It sounded like something well.....chattering. The sound gets louder the more I press the pedal down. There have been some times that I've not heard anything but that lasted about a full 5 seconds before SOME kind of sound came about.

Last edited by kongdong; 07-03-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Turns out it was an exhaust leak on upper right header manifold. How much power am I loosing would you say? What risks are involved with me having it the way it is?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Aren't exhaust leaks funny things? Sometimes you could swear it's some sort of dark mechanical problem...

It's not good, and will of course only get worse if not tended to--it may also cause the O2 sensor readings on that bank report lean--which is better than having it report rich.

This will cost you some fuel economy in closed loop mode, may throw a code if the STFT maxes out, and once the LTFTs get relearned it could make that bank run rich in open loop mode.

It would drive me crazy--I'd have to fix it...
Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Aren't exhaust leaks funny things? Sometimes you could swear it's some sort of dark mechanical problem...

It's not good, and will of course only get worse if not tended to--it may also cause the O2 sensor readings on that bank report lean--which is better than having it report rich.

This will cost you some fuel economy in closed loop mode, may throw a code if the STFT maxes out, and once the LTFTs get relearned it could make that bank run rich in open loop mode.

It would drive me crazy--I'd have to fix it...
I know that when I got it tuned it was tuned a little more rich that lean so hopefully now it should be in balance but I know I still have to get it fixed. How much do you think that would cost me to get that done? How long would it take? I have longtubes.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have no real notion of the cost, however I would be prepared for 1/2 or more of what it cost to have them installed--depending on whether they have to raise the engine/drop the A-frame. There's not a whole lot of room to work down there...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier...I knew after cliff said it didnt sound like pinging(I can't listen to vids here at work) that it was an exhaust leak for sure. I had the same issue in my truck before. Well, atleast you got it figured out!