4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car has the Hiccups..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 PM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Unhappy Car has the Hiccups..

Well I just changed my intake manifold for a brand new one and I used gaskets from Ford. Did the work myself. Well when I finished and first started it, it was misfiring from Cylinder 8. Got a little coolant and fuel in the hole when I removed everything. I forgot. So took the coil out and blew it out with some compressed air. So now she idles fine, drives fine, but...sometimes under WOT it misses. Under any gear but sometimes it redlines no problem. But for instance when I put it into 5th at low speed and give it some gas, it starts to shake and stutter. Sometimes when I leave the Light it shakes and stutters. Cleaned the MAF, IAC, EGR. Could it be my coil went bad when I started it with fluid in the hole? It revs fine when no load on it. But sometimes when I give it mad gas then it disappoints. Don't have another coil available to swap around. Forgot to mention I also installed a JLT Cold Air Intake. Could that be a problem too? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2002 Mustang GT
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

check the plug for fouling? i'd start there since you said thats where you started having the problem.

what manifold is it?

might even be the MAF - what did you clean it with?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Cleaned the MAf with MAF CLeaner Spray you get from the parts store. Just changed the plugs few months ago. Could I have fried the coil when I started it with fluid in the plug hole? It's just the stock PI manifold. It was the cheapest and my car is near stock. I have OR-H MAC and Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow. Not much in it.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

hmmm. well its possible to have gunked up the MAF, i know that would cause some problems. are you throwing any codes? maybe try swappin the coil? did you torque everything to spec? maybe do a compression test?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

just switch your #8 coil with your #7. if the missfire changes to cylinder #7 then it is your coil
Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

This^^

read my sticky
Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99
just switch your #8 coil with your #7. if the missfire changes to cylinder #7 then it is your coil
Yeah but at idle it runs fine. If I swap the coil around then drive how would I know where the misfire is coming from. The car is not throwing any codes nor does the mild street manners seem affected. Just under WOT in a high gear at low speed does it stutter and hesitate.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
This^^

read my sticky
Thanks for that. That is some good stuff you got there.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:34 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SikGT
Yeah but at idle it runs fine. If I swap the coil around then drive how would I know where the misfire is coming from. The car is not throwing any codes nor does the mild street manners seem affected. Just under WOT in a high gear at low speed does it stutter and hesitate.
If you did not have any codes from the first time, how did you determine #8 was the culprit? Did you pull the plugs and find that one to have coolant and that's why you think it is that one misfiring?

Originally Posted by SikGT
Thanks for that. That is some good stuff you got there.
Thank you. That info is the result of lot's of searching, as well as some very good contributions from this forum.

Quick Reply: Car has the Hiccups..