4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I found wires and a button.. but what are they?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by hawks05
ive seen that in a couple stock mustangs. it is part of the stock alarm system that comes with them.
There was no stock (from the factory) alarm system offered for any New-Edge Mustang, even as a dealer installed option.

They all came with the PATS, but no alarm.

What you have seen must have been after market systems, perhaps dealer installed, but after market nonetheless. That spider-web mess the OP's photos show is definitely not a factory option.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:46 AM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

well im just telling you i saw it in my 98 V6, my 04 GT, and now my 99 GT the after market one that is in my 99 GT hooked up to a box that sits under the cup holders.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 AM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

in fact after seeing that it has a red light on the other side that is exactly what it is. it comes installed in the car when you buy it. PATS is completely different then the central locking system/alarm system that comes in them. usually when they have a keyless entry there is some sort of an alarm system with them. that button will change the settings of how it works. well atleast it should.

Last edited by hawks05; 07-26-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

in fact after seeing that it has a red light on the other side that is exactly what it is. it comes installed in the car when you buy it. PATS is completely different then the central locking system/alarm system that comes in them. usually when they have a keyless entry there is some sort of an alarm system with them. that button will change the settings of how it works. well atleast it should.
I am quite aware of what the PATS does, and how it works. Keyless entry, including the panic alarm, is managed by the GEM; the panic alarm is only triggered by the key fob panic button--it toggles the horn on and off, flashes the parking lights, and turns on the courtesy lights for 2.75 seconds after activation.

It remains however that there was no factory installed or supplied alarm system for the New-Edge Mustangs--it appears in none of the factory service manuals; or listed as an option in any of the original brochures, Red Book entries, or any other resource I have.

Nor does my '03 Premium package GT, with keyless entry have any such mess of wires under the dash--if you examine the OP's photos you will note in one that a crimped butt connector were used to connect some wires. Factory installations do not use butt connectors, nor would a factory installation be such an nasty looking ball of wire with no sheathing and a strip of electrical tape holding it all together.

There is nothing about the factory alarm and anti-theft systems that looks like the device and wiring shown in the OP's photos...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 AM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

im telling you what my 3 mustangs had and 2 of which did not have after market alarms. the 04 was stock and if you kicked at the wheels you set off the alarm. the 04 only had what was on it from the dealership it was purchased from. the 98 did the same it was just not as sensitive. and yes that little button with the red light was on all 3 of the cars i owned. now someone could have tampered with it but that is stock.

i will agree that wiring looks like a mess. like i said above someone could have tampered with it. my 04 was the 40th ann edition and my 99 is a 35th ann edition.

Last edited by hawks05; 07-26-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

im telling you what my 3 mustangs had and 2 of which did not have after market alarms. the 04 was stock and if you kicked at the wheels you set off the alarm. the 04 only had what was on it from the dealership it was purchased from. the 98 did the same it was just not as sensitive. and yes that little button with the red light was on all 3 of the cars i owned. now someone could have tampered with it but that is stock.

i will agree that wiring looks like a mess. like i said above someone could have tampered with it. my 04 was the 40th ann edition and my 99 is a 35th ann edition.
They have to be dealer installed after market alarms, Ford never shipped a New-Edge with an alarm system from the factory, nor was there are dealer installed factory kit. My brother has a loaded '99 35th Anniversary GT--it has no such alarm...

Here's the full 2004 price listing from the Red Book, no alarm system is listed:

2004 Mustang Prices Retail

P40 Mustang Coupe $17,865.00
P40 Mustang Coupe $18,595.00
P44 Mustang Deluxe Convertible 23,600.00
P40 Mustang Premium Coupe 19,245.00
P44 Mustang Premium Convertible 25,725.00
P42 Mustang GT Coupe 23,385.00
P45 Mustang GT Deluxe Convertible 27,730.00
P42 Mustang GT Premium Coupe 24,555.00
P45 Mustang GT Premium Convertible 28,900.00
P42 Mustang Mach 1 28,965.00
P48 Mustang Cobra Coupe 34,575.00
P49 Mustang Cobra Convertible 38,950.00
44U 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive 815.00
552 Braking System Anti-Lock 730.00
18G Interior Upgrade 345.00
54P Pony Package 645.00
54V Sport Appearance Group 175.00
588 Radio, Mach 460 550.00

Also, as I said earlier there is no mention of it in the shop manuals, if it were factory it would be in there...
Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

LMAO...I cannot believe this fool is arguing with Cliff....

Looking at the pics, the "cap" you have, does have one jumper in it. As smitty pointed out. This is what does not allow the car to crank when you have the cap off. That also means that this is part of the factory harness that is there for some sort of add on possibility(not an alarm don't get excited hawks).

The connector appears to be C134. Which is just a pigtail from the looks of the diagram. It may actually be there for a ford test diagnostics plug to hook up to, I'm not sure. Regardless, without tracing the wires, I cannot be sure.

I attached a PDF of the component diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by devongarver
LMAO...I cannot believe this fool is arguing with Cliff....

Looking at the pics, the "cap" you have, does have one jumper in it. As smitty pointed out. This is what does not allow the car to crank when you have the cap off. That also means that this is part of the factory harness that is there for some sort of add on possibility(not an alarm don't get excited hawks).

The connector appears to be C134. Which is just a pigtail from the looks of the diagram. It may actually be there for a ford test diagnostics plug to hook up to, I'm not sure. Regardless, without tracing the wires, I cannot be sure.

I attached a PDF of the component diagram.
You have thought about this a lot more than I. I took one look at the box with the button and LED, and the mass of jumbled wiring and was convinced it was not OEM.

I hadn't noticed the jumper in the "cap" and agree, based upon that the engine won't start when it's removed, that it would to appear be some sort of hidden immobiliser sort of thing--pull the plug and take it with you, no casual thief drives the car away.

The position of C134 in the AZ diagram looks right, however the shop manual (which I am working on getting onto an unprotected DVD), shows this as the pin configuration for C134:

I have never seen any functional OEM connector that does not have a locking tab--the last thing Ford needs is warranty covered tows and repairs because a connector fell apart.

There's nothing OEM about that rig...
Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Crud. Looks like my theory is shot lol.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

When solving mysteries it is always best to have everyone on team "think out loud"--it's the only way to make sure all the possibilities make it into the discussion...

Quick Reply: I found wires and a button.. but what are they?