4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cutting rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Cutting rear springs

I recently picked up some Fox V8 rear springs for my car for cheap and I plan on running them with some V6 front springs (since I got them for free and from what I know, they are relatively close to the fox 4cyl spring rates).

Eventually I plan on running coilovers up front but for now I plan on cutting these V6 springs one coil. I was really hoping the rear springs would give me a drop similar to the FRPP B/C springs but after seeing some pictures of them uncut on new edges, it seems to make the car sit at stock height if not even a bit higher. I'd like to cut off the deadcoil but after doing some reading and looking at the springs closely I noticed that cutting them will remove the flatshape of the top coils and would therefore make the spring sit unevenly in the upper spring perch.

I know lots of people have cut their springs before so I was wondering how do you go about this?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

i am about to cut some stock mach 1 springs that i picked up....You cut the top of the rear and the bottom of the fronts...

Just make sure the pigtails are facing toward the driver side of the car...

Idk the answer to your question about the flat part of the rear spring... Just cut em. A lot of people do it. You'll be fine
Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

People cut the springs all the time and don't have any issues. If you are worried, run an isolator

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 07-25-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Drag5.0mustang
2nd Gear Member

I cut mine you wont have any issues..
Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

you aren't supposed to cut from the top where the flat part is.

HP: you still haven't cut those springs yet after that massive thread? get to work partner! lol
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
you aren't supposed to cut from the top where the flat part is.

HP: you still haven't cut those springs yet after that massive thread? get to work partner! lol
Yes you do....the bottom of the rears taper to a smaller diameter to fit in the spring perch. So you can only cut from the top.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Yes you do....the bottom of the rears taper to a smaller diameter to fit in the spring perch. So you can only cut from the top.
well then i wouldn't cut it. on the cobra's linear rate springs you cut from the bottom where its not flat.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Plenty of people cut stock GT rear springs for track use. I think it's JayC that's running a coil cut on his car... That thing rides fine. Just cut the springs. Worst case, you take em out and put the others back in.

I know i need to get to work on my springs! Me and 98redstang are going to do them sometime soon. With him getting his new motor in and the both of us being on different schedules with vacations for the next 3 weeks, it's kind of hard to find the time to get it done lol.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Plenty of people cut stock GT rear springs for track use. I think it's JayC that's running a coil cut on his car... That thing rides fine. Just cut the springs. Worst case, you take em out and put the others back in.

I know i need to get to work on my springs! Me and 98redstang are going to do them sometime soon. With him getting his new motor in and the both of us being on different schedules with vacations for the next 3 weeks, it's kind of hard to find the time to get it done lol.
i hear you. it can be done by yourself though. i did mine all by my lonesome. lol
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

These are the exact springs I have. They came on the car when I bought it.

If i was to cut them I would cut the BOTTOM of the REAR spring since the top has the flat part to sit under the frame of the car. I don't know what part to cut if the bottom of your rear springs look like the bottom of the front (coil closer as it nears the end)

So, if they look like these I's cut bottom of rears and top of fronts.

http://www.motorenergy.com/images/79...eed_yellow.jpg

Quick Reply: Cutting rear springs