4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trouble installing rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Angry Trouble installing rear brakes

Bought new pads for front and rear. Fronts were a breeze. On the rear, I can't get the stupid caliper piston to go in. I got a special tool from Pep Boys and tried to turn it clockwise like the manual says. It won't budge. I just need to turn it half a turn to make room for the new pads. I was afraid of messing it up or breaking something so I backed off. Is it supposed to be that hard to turn? I put some serious gorilla grips on this thing and it won't move a fraction.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

it might be backed out all the way, i know when i did my fronts the pads were to big and i had to sand them down a little to get them to fit, maybe its the same issue, i also used channel locks to turn the rears but thats not the best tool to use.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Use a wood clamp that is sold at home depot or loews, made of plastic with rubber covers, the rest is steel, the kind you can pump to close with one hand! Works every time! I also take the cover off the break fluid reservoir
Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
Use a wood clamp that is sold at home depot or loews, made of plastic with rubber covers, the rest is steel, the kind you can pump to close with one hand! Works every time! I also take the cover off the break fluid reservoir
This isn't something you push in. The rear piston has to be turned. It has two notches that are "V" shaped and the manual said you can use a needlenose plyers to turn it or a brake piston tool but neither work. It looks like it might be all the way in though now that I think about it. There is only about a 1/6 of an inch sticking out. I think I may let my local shop worry about it. I tried putting on the new pads and getting the caliper back on but no go. It won't go over the new pads.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelbyville
This isn't something you push in. The rear piston has to be turned. It has two notches that are "V" shaped and the manual said you can use a needlenose plyers to turn it or a brake piston tool but neither work. It looks like it might be all the way in though now that I think about it. There is only about a 1/6 of an inch sticking out. I think I may let my local shop worry about it. I tried putting on the new pads and getting the caliper back on but no go. It won't go over the new pads.
There is a tool made for turning the piston.
Its looks like a square and fits on the end of a rachet.
You can get them at your local autoparts store for about 10$.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelbyville
Sorry I was going off previous brake pad changes on other Ford's! I have yet to delve into the mustang yet as I only have 15000 miles on mine! I guess ill deal with that problem when I get to it!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Has anyone else noticed how much bad info the S197 owners post in our section?
That tool posted works but I hate that damn thing it is always coming out of the groves.
Here is what I use
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...kit-97143.html
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Has anyone else noticed how much bad info the S197 owners post in our section?
That tool posted works but I hate that damn thing it is always coming out of the groves.
Here is what I use
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...kit-97143.html
Don't be a ********! I was just trying to help with my previous experience of changing pads,so SORRY that I wasn't correct when it came to the Mustang!like I said douche bag I have yet to change them because of my mileage!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

i think your going to have to sand down the pads, if you have a belt sander put them on there just dont breath the dust
Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Don't be a ********! I was just trying to help with my previous experience of changing pads,so SORRY that I wasn't correct when it came to the Mustang!like I said douche bag I have yet to change them because of my mileage!
Ah you called me a "********" and a "douche bad" all in the same post. Thank you I'll take it as a compliment. The point is if you don't know don't post

OP I wouldn't sand the brakes down you need to make sure the brakes are working properly. What I do when they are being stubborn I try spinning it one way and than spin it the other way eventually it will go in

Quick Reply: Trouble installing rear brakes