4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A Slight Miss

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

Default A Slight Miss

I think I feel a miss while cursing, which is usually under 2k rpm.

I do have a light tap when the engine is cold but it goes away as it warms up. it kinda feels like a bump in the road when it happens, but it doesn't happen in the same spots on my road, I have no check engine light and 135k on the car just changed plugs wires and power packs and just put on a cold air intake.

Any help would be appreciated, let me know if y'all need more info
Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I think I feel a miss while cursing...
Stop cursing and your luck will change...

But seriously folks, I had a similar issue with my '03 GT that first popped up around 95k miles--at light loads and lower RPMs there was a stumble.

It was the EGR valve sticking. Being a cheap SOB I just disabled the EGR in the tune and the stumble went away...
Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I had to LOL at that...cursing..haha. Cliff's right though, I was start with the egr. BTW I love the color of your car...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Stop cursing and your luck will change...
I'm from new jersey...its inevitable

aside from my horrid spelling, a slight stumble would exactally explain it, I don't feel it when accelerating or idle, it just feels like it falls on its face for just a second then goes back to CRUISING just fine.

I'll look into the EGR valve...but it sounds like a task

Originally Posted by devongarver
BTW I love the color of your car...
Love yours too, but it looks darker than mine. I love dark blues.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by stangcoupe1970
I'm from new jersey...its inevitable

aside from my horrid spelling, a slight stumble would exactally explain it, I don't feel it when accelerating or idle, it just feels like it falls on its face for just a second then goes back to CRUISING just fine.

I'll look into the EGR valve...but it sounds like a task
It's not that bad, just be careful not to twist off the EGR tube, spray the nut/tube with penetrating oil and let it sit a bit before trying to break the connection...
Old 07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

It may be the lighting, it was taken at dusk. Mine is Atlantic Blue, what's yours?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

It's not that bad, just be careful not to twist off the EGR tube, spray the nut/tube with penetrating oil and let it sit a bit before trying to break the connection...
okay, I'll spray it down today before I go to work and tomorrow I'll take it off and inspect.

When I looked the part up so I would know what I was looking for I was like wait a sec there's 2 newer parts that look like that on the other side of the engine, but the EGR valve looks like its original. I also read on another forum that if the valve was bad it would throw a code, and I have no code?

Originally Posted by devongarver
It may be the lighting, it was taken at dusk. Mine is Atlantic Blue, what's yours?
Yep its the lighting, mine is Atlantic Blue code k6 but I do have this shady side picture:

Last edited by stangcoupe1970; 07-30-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

okay, I'll spray it down today before I go to work and tomorrow I'll take it off and inspect.

When I looked the part up so I would know what I was looking for I was like wait a sec there's 2 newer parts that look like that on the other side of the engine, but the EGR valve looks like its original. I also read on another forum that if the valve was bad it would throw a code, and I have no code?
They must be right then, no need to change the valve...
Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

They must be right then, no need to change the valve...
I was wondering what you thought on that you know your stuff....did yours have a light?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I was wondering what you thought on that you know your stuff....did yours have a light?
No, if it's just sluggish, and not actually stuck in a fixed position, no DTC will be thrown--there may be pending codes for the misfires but since they are short lived and infrequent they will not be persisted.

Also as the PCM will not actually know the cause it would likely only throw the misfire codes--I don't think the freeze-frame data would show anything either.

Quick Reply: A Slight Miss