4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

DIY Rear Gear Change Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

yeah i know i did gears myself and it took me forever to do it. The only reason i even attempted it myself was because i had a whole university to get tools from and the shop guy is awesome. All that said it did take me 5 tries to get it right, but it has been 5K miles and no problems.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

[quote=BriansNSane;7146047]Sorry for the late response, It went very well and I am very pleased with the results.I was under the impression that stock,I had 3.55 gears but to my amazement they were 3.27's so you can imagine the difference it made =) It was a great learning experience as really the only way to learn is to have someone show you and walk you through it. I still probably wouldn't attempt this myself if given another chance but I know alot more about how my rear end works now. I can tell you this though an FRPP gear is much easier to install into our rear end's than other gears.(Piece of advice he gave me,said if i brought hm any other gear it would have taken alot longer. I am also glad i decided to do this sooner than later as the driver side carrier bearing ate into the race at some point and left a nasty scar where 3 of them collided against it.Needless to say Auto Zone,Napa,and Advance did not stock carrier bearings. I finally found them at O'Reilly's wich the guy told me it would be special order and I would have to wait a week,I am glad I brought my buddy with me because come to find out the one from a 93 is the same and they had those stock and were cheaper.Welp in the end all I can say is this.If your prepared for some heartache and taking your rear end apart a few times for the same install you can probably do this yourself with some good advice,If you want it done right the first time and have a few hundred bucks Just pay the man haha[/quote]

LOL pretty sure this is what we said^^^^^ haha but glad to hear you learned a thing or two!