4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Self adjusting quadrant

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Default Self adjusting quadrant

So I had a quick question. How do I install the stock quadrant? The one that adjusts itself. Right now I have the steeda kit but I don't like it. Quadrant, cable and firewall adjuster.

I went to ford and they gave me the quadrant but it comes as a whole assembly. It's the quadrant and the pawl already with springs and already on the rod. I attempted to replace the steeda for the factory quadrant yesterday but when I was pulling the rod out from underneath the dash that the quadrant and pawl sit on, I hit the HVAC housing. I couldn't get the rod out. Does that mean I have to take the whole dash out? Sorry if I'm not explaining it vividly. It's kind of hard to put a picture into words. Lol thanks for any help though.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

The only thing I can say to this is why do you not like the steeda? Do you not have it adjusted properly?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You'll have to pull the entire pedal assembly to replace the shaft and all--here's the procedure.

You could just reinstall the quadrant, pawl, etc.; however doing that and wrestling with the springs while upside down under the dash would be a good sized PITA.

'Twas me I'd do as Devon said and figure out what's wrong with the Steeda installation--there has to be something wrong or you would be very pleased to have it...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Well the steeda is nice but I work at a dealership and the mechanics have said that the oem cable is best. So I'm going back to original stuff. I know a guy with a 10 sec stang and he has the factory stuff still on there. A 91 fox. Idk thanks though guys!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by arbs
Well the steeda is nice but I work at a dealership and the mechanics have said that the oem cable is best. So I'm going back to original stuff. I know a guy with a 10 sec stang and he has the factory stuff still on there. A 91 fox. Idk thanks though guys!
The OEM cable is best but the OEM quadrant is garbage.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You'll have to pull the entire pedal assembly to replace the shaft and all--here's the procedure.

You could just reinstall the quadrant, pawl, etc.; however doing that and wrestling with the springs while upside down under the dash would be a good sized PITA.

'Twas me I'd do as Devon said and figure out what's wrong with the Steeda installation--there has to be something wrong or you would be very pleased to have it...
Yeah maybe ill just do like what you said and mess witht the springs. Hah I took it apart yesterday on a vise and it actually isn't that hard. Well not on a vise, under the dash is a different story. I just have to install the pawl first then push it back and install the quadrant. Hopefully all goes well I'll let you guys know.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
The OEM cable is best but the OEM quadrant is garbage.
Really? Well is there another way I can use the oem cable with a better quadrant? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by arbs
Really? Well is there another way I can use the oem cable with a better quadrant? Thanks!

Yes. I cannot recall which part didn't match up when I did my firewall adjuster/quadrant/cable. I have the steeda kit as well. I elected, however, to say eff it, and install the steeda cable. I simply kept the factory cable as a spare. I mean really, what tools do you need to change a clutch cable? not much...so keep the stocker as a spare and your good to go. Lubrication on the quadrant hels prevent wear on the aftermarket cable as well.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Hmm okay thank you!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have the original stock cable on my '03 (100k+ miles), with a UPR 3-hook quadrant an UPRs quick-click adjuster. If you have the Steeda 2-hook quadrant then all you'll need is a stock cable.

The OEM plastic quadrant is crap, there's no way I would go back to using it...

Quick Reply: Self adjusting quadrant