4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Romeo Or Windsor??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default Romeo Or Windsor??

Wasn't going to ask this question on here but I've googled this and after reading 8 different articles I'm more confused than ever. I just need to know if I have a Romeo or Windsor block? Kinda off the subject but is there such a big differnce between the two? Thanks guys!!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

2001-2003GTs used Romeo engines. Count the valve cover bolts on your head... should be 11

Difference is a few things... piston differences, rod differences...etc...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

^^^ This is what I thought for the longest time, then I read an article stating that there were Romeo and Windsor Motors produced during the same years...I didn't know whether to believe it or not.

Also, I initially read that the windsor's had an 8 bolt flywheel and the romeo's had a 6 bolt, but the same article that screwed with my head above also said that each motor could come with an 8 bolt or a 6 bolt depending on when it was made...weird.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

The eighth digit in you VIN tells what type engine you have. 'W' is a Romeo engine and 'X' is a Windsor engine.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobrajets
The eighth digit in you VIN tells what type engine you have. 'W' is a Romeo engine and 'X' is a Windsor engine.
Yup I remember reading that too! I always thought it was weird because you would think W for Windsor lol
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Well that's solved.. Thanks guys I really appreciate it..
Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

the windsor block is more desirable. It does not have the huge transmission service hole in the back like a romeo. Its all thick and solid. the rods and pistons are the same. It uses the same crank also but most if not all were 8 bolt. The block will work with either windsor or romeo heads. The windsor heads have less spark plug threads so they are prone to blowout on boosted cars. They have individual cam caps instead of two large ones on a romeo head. The best combo is a windsor block and romeo heads
Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Cobrajets
I have seen that at numerous sites that should know better, unfortunately it's not true.

All Mustang GTs have an X in the 8th position indicating only that it's a Mustang tuned engine, not its source.

This is from Ford's online VIN tools site:

The "W" engines are 4.6 2Vs used in all but Mustang GTs
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey thxs cliff..
Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

Called Ford the other day for a flywheel for my 2000 GT and he needed the 8th digit in the VIN, to verify what engine I had. He told me 'X' was for a Windsor and 'W' was for a Romeo. I don't understand why he would need my VIN, if the 'X' is in all Mustangs. Anyway, I looked at the Ford VIN site you have highlighted for the 2000 model year. It says the (W) behind the engine displacement stands for the Windsor and the (R) stands for Romeo. Does this mean in 2000, all Mustang engines were produced in Windsor?

Quick Reply: Romeo Or Windsor??