4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 timing chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Linkin

Default 4.6 timing chain tensioners

Hey guys, i had a tensioner arm break i three spots on my 03 2v 4.6. I have abuilt bottom end, KB, billet oil pump. I'm thinking with my high oil pressure that my tensioner sees is causing it to extend further than normal. With the rachet system in the tensioner it isn't allowed to back off. I have heard some guys will grind a few teeth away on the tensioner that way the rachet sytem won't hold the that much tension on the chain. The tensioner was wearing into the aluminum on the tensioner arm so i was suspecting to much tension.

Has anyone heard about grinding some teeth away?
Can i just get rid of the rachet system? Will the chains get too loose without that stopper in when the car is shut off(no oil pressure)?

Thanks Darwin
Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 AM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Linkin
Hey guys, i had a tensioner arm break i three spots on my 03 2v 4.6. I have abuilt bottom end, KB, billet oil pump. I'm thinking with my high oil pressure that my tensioner sees is causing it to extend further than normal. With the rachet system in the tensioner it isn't allowed to back off. I have heard some guys will grind a few teeth away on the tensioner that way the rachet sytem won't hold the that much tension on the chain. The tensioner was wearing into the aluminum on the tensioner arm so i was suspecting to much tension.

Can i just get rid of the rachet system? Will the chains get too loose without that stopper in when the car is shut off(no oil pressure)?

Thanks Darwin
I got a timing kit and it ddose away with the rachet system tensioner it had a paper in the box something about it being a newer style
Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Linkin

Originally Posted by erikka.paige
I got a timing kit and it ddose away with the rachet system tensioner it had a paper in the box something about it being a newer style
Where did you get the kit from? How does it work? Do you have a built engine? Does the pressure bleed off and loosen the chain too much? Thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 AM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Where did you get the kit from? How does it work? Do you have a built engine? Does the pressure bleed off and loosen the chain too much? Thanks
I have not put it in the car yet.I got it from car quest box says pci. it had this paper in it. they look the same as the old ones from 2 feet away.
Attached Thumbnails 4.6 timing chain tensioners-2010-08-08_23.43.44.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 AM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

I have not put it in the car yet.I got it from car quest box says pci. it had this paper in it. they look the same as the old ones from 2 feet away.
better pic
Attached Thumbnails 4.6 timing chain tensioners-2010-08-08_23.43.44.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Linkin

better pic
Thanks for the pic but my i don't have proper privileges to open it. maybe i don't have enough posts on my account.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the pic but my i don't have proper privileges to open it. maybe i don't have enough posts on my account.
This is what the paper that came in the box says.

The Tensioner style may look different than your original style. This newer style was first introduced by Ford in the year 2000 on the 4.6L V-8 and continued through 2004 and perhaps further. It has performed well and makes the timing system installation a little easier. The earlier style is cast iron and has a ratchet system and pounting plate. We have adopted this newer style for all of our 4.6 and 5.4 V-8 engines and the 6.8L V-10 engines. During installation be sure to use a mounting plate under the Tensioner if the original style used one. If the original version did not use or need a plate under the Tensioner then one is not required. Oil pressuer leaks and improper Tensioner operation will occur if the plate was left out of an installation that requires one. It is up to the installer to be correct. -notice T65432-33 ford V-series
Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Thanks Darwin

Also pressure comes from resistance to flow could something else be wrong and even without the ratchet system will stuff still break.....If your high pressure made it break maybe the ratchet system made it happen sooner but you are still going to be putting higher pressure on the chain and tensioner, Just a thought.

PS why do you have a high psi oil pump... do you NEED it. Sounds like the fix is getting rid of it...From what I have heard one only needs a high volume/pressure pumps if the motors clearances are more than factory specs if not then it’s not so needed
Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Linkin

Also pressure comes from resistance to flow could something else be wrong and even without the ratchet system will stuff still break.....If your high pressure made it break maybe the ratchet system made it happen sooner but you are still going to be putting higher pressure on the chain and tensioner, Just a thought.

PS why do you have a high psi oil pump... do you NEED it. Sounds like the fix is getting rid of it...From what I have heard one only needs a high volume/pressure pumps if the motors clearances are more than factory specs if not then it’s not so needed
It was more of a percautionary measure to get the billet oil pump. I have a built Livernois 4.6 stroker good for 1000hp, DSS heads, and then the KB which i knew i would pulley after the break in period. I am up 18psi and 509rwhp. The shop had said that the weak point is in the stock oil pump gears. If i remember correct this is an upgrade for cobra's with billet gears which can handle higher rpm's. I have a full sweep electric oil press gauge which i put in on the build with the engine. When the car is at running temp i still see just around 70-75psi. They also told me that oil pressure shouldn't damage anything. Maybe my tensioner was weak from factory but it just seems weird.