4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

running hot???? and difference in P.I and stock intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 AM
saleen111

Default running hot???? and difference in P.I and stock intake

Okay i have a 96 gt saleen, the temp gage only says NORMAL. i would run at the M without the ac on all day ( in Texas) when the ac is on it goes to the L and i turn the ac off and it runs at the M, I do that just so i dont over heat. I put in a 170 thermostat and it still was the same. I put in a mishimoto 3 core radiator and still seems the same. Is it the cluster? the speedometer doesn't read right either. or something else?? Also how can i tell if i have the P.I intake manifold or just the stock intake because the previous owner had the dealership replace the intake manifold? any help anyone please!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleen111
Okay i have a 96 gt saleen, the temp gage only says NORMAL. i would run at the M without the ac on all day ( in Texas) when the ac is on it goes to the L and i turn the ac off and it runs at the M, I do that just so i dont over heat. I put in a 170 thermostat and it still was the same. I put in a mishimoto 3 core radiator and still seems the same. Is it the cluster? the speedometer doesn't read right either. or something else?? Also how can i tell if i have the P.I intake manifold or just the stock intake because the previous owner had the dealership replace the intake manifold? any help anyone please!!!!
I too had the same problem after I did the PI intake swap. It would run at the L with the air on but only if going down the highway never would get hot sittting in town. I ended up puting a water pump on and flushed the system and new 180 thermostate and still no fix. I just put my mishimoto 3 row in and so far so good with the air on it goes to the M.

take a pic of your intake and we can tell you if you have a pi or not. if the dealership replaced a cracked intake it probelm is just a stock replacement with the aluminum crosso
ver.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Setup a mechanical water temp guage and see what the actual temp is. Then you'll know if you sure be worried about it or not. Stock guage is worthless really. When its 100 out in georgia my car runs right around 210-212 even if I'm getting on it. Thats with the stock radiator and a 180 tstat, no a/c though.

Last edited by Chris98Gt; 08-15-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
setup a mechanical water temp guage and see what the actual temp is. Then you'll know if you sure be worried about it or not. Stock guage is worthless really.
Where could you tap into the put a mechanical gauge and still keep your stock gauge working or would you have to have a dead gauge and intall it on your crossover tube.

If you had to install it on your crossover tube which side plug would you take out to plug your mechanical gauge in?

I would be interested to know because I would like to install a aftermarket gauge myself.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I put mine in the passenger side of the crossover and let the dash guage do nothing. There is a plug on the side of the block below the manifolds that could be used, but it looked like it would have been to close to my bbk shorties and interfere, so I decided to put it in the crossover.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
I put mine in the passenger side of the crossover and let the dash guage do nothing. There is a plug on the side of the block below the manifolds that could be used, but it looked like it would have been to close to my bbk shorties and interfere, so I decided to put it in the crossover.

Ok thanks, I was planing on putting the gauge pod that replaces the pod your clock sits in and puting the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge in there, How hard is it to run your wires through your dash to get up to where the clock was? Do you know where to hook up a electrical oil pressure gauge at too?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Idk about the electrical oil guage since I used all mechanical stuff, but you could probably do it just like the factory did and hook it up to the same spot, but don't quote me on that. It's not too hard to fish the wires through the dash, but you've got to find a hole or make one with gromets and it will be harder for you since you've got all the a/c stuff under the dash too. I'd fish them through one side or the other and take the radio and stuff out so you can get your hand up in there.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 AM
saleen111

Originally Posted by 96meangreengt
I too had the same problem after I did the PI intake swap. It would run at the L with the air on but only if going down the highway never would get hot sittting in town. I ended up puting a water pump on and flushed the system and new 180 thermostate and still no fix. I just put my mishimoto 3 row in and so far so good with the air on it goes to the M.

take a pic of your intake and we can tell you if you have a pi or not. if the dealership replaced a cracked intake it probelm is just a stock replacement with the aluminum crosso
ver.
How do i upload a picture on here to show you? all i have the one in my garage. do i have to be a paid member?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

You can upload it to imageshack then post the link here. There may be a post count limitation, but idk try it and see.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

My 4V runs right at 225 with the A/C on in the Texas heat. With the A/C off I get 215*F. I use a code reader to monitor my temps. Plug into the OBD port and see what the computer sees. The big problem is that no one really knows how hot is too hot on these engines. Like on a NorthStar Cadillac 225*F is perfectly normal, that is when the second fan kicks on. On my mom's 89 IROC 220*F is normal.

Quick Reply: running hot???? and difference in P.I and stock intake