4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.4L 4V Swap FAQ's

Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
jgrimm

Default 5.4L 4V Swap FAQ's

Well, It seems as if much of the tech info on this swap has been lost due to forum revamps, is somehow buried in pages and pages of search results, or is scattered in pieces all across the web. What to do? Begin to build a thread with as much info as I can find on the engines for people wanting a 5.4 in their SN-95, just like myself. I am not a certified mechanic, but I am a DIY auto enthusiast with a fair amount of shop time under my belt just like many of you on this forum, so I am not inexperienced, but hey, we are always learning and this has been a huge learning experience filled with many hours of reading and searching. So enough said! Let’s get down to the fun part!

NOTE: Please, please, PLEASE, read my entire post and subsequent posts by members underneath this one before you ask any questions as I am writing to eliminate the same questions being asked over and over. Thanks!

Why swap in a 5.4L out of the Navigator?

-1. More cubes without the extreme internal angles and high piston speeds associated with the 4.6L stroker kits.

-2. They are about the same price as the 4V 4.6L engines, though slightly more expensive to build.

-3. They are a 4V motor which means they breathe well enough to handle boost fairly well (with correct tuning and internals)

-4. They don't weigh much more than their smaller counterpart; the 4.6L.

-5. Many of the engines have been driven easily (not raced or used up) due to their native environment/vehicle they call home here in the USA; the 1999-2004 Lincoln Navigator.

-6. More Cubes for the money! Size matters boys... Size matters... (Whats a good post without humor?)

-7. Ford chose to power the Cobra-R with this engine for a reason.

-8. The 5.4L (and its relatives) has proven itself as a very respectable powerplant in several performance platforms in the US and abroad such as the:

* 2000 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R, 4-valve DOHC, 385 hp and 385 lb·ft

* 2002–2005 Ford Falcon XR8, 4-valve DOHC, 349 hp and 369 lb·ft

* 2005–2006 Ford GT, 4-valve DOHC, Aluminum block, Supercharged, 550 hp and 500 lb·ft

* 2006 Ford Falcon FPV GT, 4-valve DOHC, 389 hp and 384 lb·ft

* 2007–2009 Ford Shelby GT500, 4-valve DOHC, Supercharged, 500 hp and 480 lb·ft

* 2007 Ford Falcon FPV GT Cobra, 4-valve DOHC, 405 hp and 398 lb·ft

* 2008 Ford Falcon FPV GT, 4-valve DOHC, 422 hp and 406.5 lb·ft

* 2010 Ford Shelby GT500, 4-valve DOHC, Supercharged, 540 hp and 510 lb·ft

* 2011 Ford Shelby GT500, 4-valve DOHC, Aluminum block, Supercharged, 550 hp and 510 lb·ft

In my opinion, I don't see why Ford opted out of the engine finding a home in the USDM-bound line of muscle cars, as it would have been a real LS1/LS2/GTO killer.

FAQ's:

The following answers are for the 5.4L 4V DOHC pulled out of the Lincoln Navigator.

1. Will a 5.4L 4V fit into my SN-95 mustang? (4.6 powered stangs)

-Yes. Any 5.4 will bolt into your engine bay fairly easily due to it using the same block as the 4.6. (The only exception to this rule are blocks pulled out of Lincoln Continentals, as they are a bit different due to the Continental being Front-wheel-drive)

There are rumors of people needing to move the battery to the trunk, and relocating some accessories, but others say it’s not needed; either way moving a few things around isn’t hard at all.

2. Do I need new engine mounts?

-No. The stock 4.6 engine mounts work just fine, but with any performance engine build/install a good set of performance mounts are never a bad idea.

3. Will the stock bellhousing and crossmember bolt up to the 5.4 4V?

-Yes. They will work as the 5.4 uses virtually the same block as the 4.6

4. Will i need different exhaust?

-Yes. You will need headers in order to get the engine to fit as it is 28 1/4" wide, from head to head. The 4.6 is 26 5/8" wide from head to head.

According to Sullivan, you can use the shorty headers made for 1999-2004 4.6 4V Cobras on the 5.4L 4V. (About 450$-700$)

I am the kind of guy that tries to make things work, so during the install I will try using the stock manifolds for those who are cheap like myself.

5. Will I need a different intake?

-Possibly. I have seen someone running what I believe to have been a stock Navigator intake on their 1999 GT down at mustang week in Myrtle Beach, SC. I didn't get a chance to ask so I will confirm this later as soon as I try it myself. The car didn't have a hood on it at the time, so I am assuming that it was removed to allow the taller Navigator intake to fit.

Here are some dimensions on the stock 5.4L DOHC, and the Sullivan intake-equipped 5.4L DOHC. I also tossed in the 5.4L 2V SOHC dimensions equipped with the F-series truck intake for those interested.

NOTE: Measurements are from the top of the throttle body pad (if you are running the Sullivan intake) or top of the factory intake (if stock) to the bottom of the factory oil pan.

5.4L SOHC F-Series Intake - 28 "
5.4L DOHC Navigator Intake - 35 1/2"
5.4L DOHC Sullivan Intake - 28 1/2"

Most people recommend the use of either an Australian "BOSS" intake from a 5.4L 4V Falcon, or the 5.4L DOHC Intake manufactured by Sullivan. Either one isn't cheap, (not sure on the BOSS intake, but the Sullivan sells for about 650$) so consider this into the build budget.

Some people make their own intake out of aluminum or sheet metal, so if you own a shop or have the ability, go for it and please share your experience with us here on then forums.

NOTE: You cannot use a stock 4.6L SOHC intake on the 5.4L unless you go with the 5.4L SOHC out of an earlier F-Series truck (1997-2004. Newer than 2004 used the 3V 5.4). People have welded a stock 4.6L DOHC intake to the 5.4L DOHC, but I do not like the idea, nor do I encourage it.

6. Will the stock OEM clutch hold up?

-Yes. It shouldn't be an issue, but some people do recommend an adjustable clutch cable. Steeda makes a decent one I do believe.

7. Do i need to change/upgrade my springs due to the heavier engine?

-No. In all honesty, 40lbs really wont make a big difference in the handling of your mustang. If anything, it may make your front end sit just a tad bit lower (if you can even tell a difference)

NOTE: It is rather hard to find a definite number when it comes to the weight of FoMoCo's mod engines. Use these as a general guide, but you'll more than likely see different numbers elsewhere.

Engine weight in Lbs:

4.6L SOHC 500 lbs.

5.4L SOHC 525 lbs

5.4L DOHC 540 lbs

8. Do I need to buy a new ECU or electronics to use the 5.4?

-No. The stock ECU should plug right up and work fine. To be perfect and coax out the most power you can get from your setup, and engine life (especially if you have performance parts, intake, headers, etc, etc.) a dyno tune would be the best thing to do.

When it comes to the older SN-95's (1996-1998), the older ECU should hook up, but I am not 100% sure and I would ask around and do some research to be sure. As far as everything else goes, (bellhousing, crossmember, accessories, etc.,etc.) it is about the same as the 1999+ install and everything should bolt up.

9. Will my car pass emissions with said swap completed?

-It should.

Well guys, this is where it gets a little tricky. All of the individuals I know who have completed this swap don't seem to have any trouble passing emissions/inspection. Some only have to pass safety, others must pass the full rundown. When it comes to California smog check, I have no honest clue, as I am on the east coast here in central NC.

I just got off the phone 5 minutes ago with a local mustang guru just down the road from my shop. I asked him question number 9, exactly as typed above, and his answer is as follows: "Well, buddy. It should, if everything works right."

So it can be done, and should pass emissions depending on the extra parts you add into the swap. If you have an off-road x-pipe, it probably wont pass. but if you have cats and all the emissions equipment, it should; it all depends on how "stock" your engine is. So to answer your question: "If an upgrade, cam, intake, exhaust, chip, etc. would cause the Navigator to fail emissions, then it will also cause the mustang to fail as well". Keep this in mind during the build/swap if you need your ride to pass emissions or if it is a daily-driver.

10. Will all the accessories off my 4.6 work with the 5.4?

-Yes. Some say that you might need a new radiator to help cool it better, but I know of a few people running the stocker without issues. If you opt for the Sullivan intake, I believe they are set up for use with a later 5.0 thermostat. When it comes to the alternator, A/C, power steering, etc., etc., yes they will bolt right on and work.

11. Will this new engine affect my fuel economy negatively?

-Possibly. Logically, a larger engine uses more gas, but in reality it all depends on your driving style and mods on your car. A stock 5.4L DOHC may not be that much different than a 4.6 when it comes to fuel economy.

Here are some figures on the subject, but keep in mind these are SUV's and the fuel economy of each engine will be much better in a lighter/more aerodynamic chassis such as the mustang:

2000 Lincoln Navigator 2WD

Fuel Type

Premium

MPG (city)

MPG (highway)

MPG (combined)

2000 Ford Expedition 2WD

Fuel Type

Regular

MPG (city)

MPG (highway)

MPG (combined)

In conclusion, the 5.4L DOHC swap is very possible and worthwhile when complete. Just like any other engine build or swap, things can get pricey really fast, so make sure you price things out before starting.

If I have missed any questions, let me know and Ill add em' in! Had fun writing about what I love, think, sleep, breathe and dream... Cheers to an awesome community and I hope this helps it grow even more!

Cheers,
-Grimm

Last edited by jgrimm; 08-17-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: 08/17/2010 at 11:45AM. Added info/fixed some errors in grammar. Added info on Intakes.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

I assume this would work for the sn95 mustangs to right? All I would have to do is get the engine, exuast, intake. I think I have seen adapters plates to mount the 4.6 intake to the 5.4. what about the wiring harness will it hook up the same? Im very interested in this swap. I found a brand new 5.4 for a 02-04 navigator on ebay with a 3year/100,000 mile warranty for $2500
Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
jgrimm

Originally Posted by 96meangreengt
I assume this would work for the sn95 mustangs to right? All I would have to do is get the engine, exuast, intake. I think I have seen adapters plates to mount the 4.6 intake to the 5.4. what about the wiring harness will it hook up the same? Im very interested in this swap. I found a brand new 5.4 for a 02-04 navigator on ebay with a 3year/100,000 mile warranty for $2500

If your Mustang uses the t-45 (1996-early2001GT's have em stock), then yes. And I know for sure that the stock electronics will work on 1999+ GT's when swapping in this engine, but I am not 100% sure on the older ones. It should work in my opinion, but Id research it to be sure.

As far as the intake goes, a 4.6 intake will bolt to the 2V 5.4, but you will have to get a Sullivan, BOSS, or custom-made intake to run the 4V DOHC out of the 1999+ Navigators. I have heard of people welding a 4v cobra intake on them as well, but I don't like the Idea of, or encourage that technique myself.

2600$ sounds pretty decent for a brand new engine, but if your gonna tear into it and change cams and whatnot, not saying you are but if you are, Id save some $ and buy a low-mileage used one (since it will probably void the warranty if you put mods on it anyway)

-Grimm
Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Great Post but you need to fix this
"Will a 5.4L 4V fit into my s-195 mustang? (4.6 powered stangs)"
I assume you meant SN95 there is no such thing as a S-195
S197 = 05 up Mustang
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
jgrimm

Originally Posted by BraMas
Great Post but you need to fix this
"Will a 5.4L 4V fit into my s-195 mustang? (4.6 powered stangs)"
I assume you meant SN95 there is no such thing as a S-195
S197 = 05 up Mustang
Yeah, I saw that after I was done, but for some reason I cant edit my posts stupid me!

My buddys always say "s-195" instead of "sn-95", so I guess it just stuck in my head, haha. As soon as figure out why I cant edit posts Ill touch that up, and also a few other things.

Thanks for the props man!

EDIT:
Fixed the mistakes, thanks for pointing that out BraMas!
Also added in intake dimensions...

Last edited by jgrimm; 08-17-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 PM
syclone50

Just bought a gt500 motor to go into my 02 saleen. Looking forward to doing the swap. This is a great thread I hope to add and get some valueble info as I go. Anyone have any more tips.

I was told I need to buy the gt500 coolant hoses and thermostat housing, these items are pricey.
Also do they make drop motor mounts? I know you can buy the k-member spacers but I need some more help with hood clearance.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 AM
shwert
1st Gear Member

so can this be done to a new edge?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 AM
OIFDOC

it is possible to drop one into a new edge. i am in the process now of building a motor! also birdman941 who already has one in his new edge would be a great person for questions, advice, parts, and a swap kit! i will have a 5.4l 4v (03-04 cobra heads) ported and polished, cams, then super charge it!!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

gotta ask, did you used to have an '05 roush?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

nice write-up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4L 4V Swap FAQ's