4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does my pony have enough life left to be supercharged??

Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
bigpatsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Does my pony have enough life left to be supercharged??

My 04 gt has 108,xxx miles on it. 80,xxx miles or so are all highway long drives. With my tax money this year I would really like to do something dramatic with her and I want a Kenne Bell. Is it worth it on an older car? Supercharge or Turbo??
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Every pony's dream is to have a big ol' sc sitting on it. I say 'do it'.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
jgrimm

Turbo = a little more involved/more expensive/has to spool up/but has potential for bigger numbers

SC = Less involved/less expensive/power off the line

Its worth it for as long as it will last and that depends on how you drive it. Easy or wild?

So, if you want it to last, no.
The stock internals aren't really designed to handle boost. If you go with the supercharger or turbo I would at least get a decent tune if not heads/cams/springs
Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
bigpatsgt
2nd Gear Member

I drive it reasonable. I'm not looking for a sub 10 car. It's not my daily driver so whenever I get ahold of it I just want to know I've got a little something better than the next guy pulling up next to me on street or low class drag ya know? I'll change out all the guts that I need to to handle the boost. I live in Louisiana and the temp is always hotter, I've heard that s/c is better in the heat and humidity? Thanks guys
Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
jgrimm

Yeah man, I would def build it up a bit to handle boost before I put it on, then get a tune. I mean you could just toss on the supercharger, but I can guarantee it wont last long.

I would recommend am intercooled SC if you go that route. Especially if you live in a hot and humid climate.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigpatsgt
I drive it reasonable. I'm not looking for a sub 10 car. It's not my daily driver so whenever I get ahold of it I just want to know I've got a little something better than the next guy pulling up next to me on street or low class drag ya know? I'll change out all the guts that I need to to handle the boost. I live in Louisiana and the temp is always hotter, I've heard that s/c is better in the heat and humidity? Thanks guys

Hey man I'm from Louisiana also and you are right, it gets hot as he** down there. One of the members of this forum (Kerns) helped me piece together a S/C (Vortech V1) for a tad bit over 2 grand for my 03 GT and that's including a intercooler. If you go that route you will be able to go S/C and maybe even get the engine worked over.. Just my two cents..
Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
bigpatsgt
2nd Gear Member

thank you jgrimm. What exactly should I replace and upgrade before I do a s/c and after I do that will my kit come with whatever else I need to be set?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
03 GTswag
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigpatsgt
thank you jgrimm. What exactly should I replace and upgrade before I do a s/c and after I do that will my kit come with whatever else I need to be set?
I would say a forged rotating assembly, and depending on the kit you purchase ( cheaper if you piece it together like Soldier ) you will still have to buy the innercooler and piping for it.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I have 83,000 miles on my 2003 GT i'm throwing a KB on it this month. Change the oil every 3000 miles as well as regular maintenance of other fluids and it will last a long time. If you're dead hooking off the line at the strip every single weekend that may change that scenario though. However if you said youd be willing to spend the cash to get the "guts" changed(rotating assembly) then you dont need to worry about wear much at all. Getting a fresh rotating assembly(Forged Crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods) will extend the engine's life by a huge amount because the only thing thats left to fail is the cylinder heads(high unlikely due to just power). Youl also be able to run full boost on your supercharger and not have to worry about the engine blowing up(given the tune is correct).
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

go w/ a centri blower, thats all you need. Save yourself some money! KB would be nice if you want to spend $5k+ Though!!!

P.S. those rims would look better on ur car :-p

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does my pony have enough life left to be supercharged??