4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Steeda UDP wrong alternator pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:55 PM
jcdavis
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda UDP wrong alternator pulley

I installed my Steeda UDP's last night. When I put the alternator pulley from the Steeda set it didn't fit. The shaft on the steeda was shorter than the stock one. This keeps the pulley from turning because it is pressed against the alternator housing. What is going on? Is there an easy remedy?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda UDP wrong alternator pulley

I didn't install the Steeda alt. pulley so I went out and measured the back of mine and it has a .520 spacer machined into the pulley.The stock pulley doesn't have much clearance from the alt.body either.Not to insult your intelligence but could the Steeda pulley have been installed backward?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I hate to say it, but most UDPs either have spacers or on go on one way. I'd relook it. However, they have had problems recently with pulleys. Someone at Steeda put the wrong pulleys in the wrong bins. They shipped several wrong waterpump pulleys a few weeks ago.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

i had the exact same problem, found out i received a 01 cobra alternator pulley. once i got the correct part i had no problems.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 PM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT
However, they have had problems recently with pulleys. Someone at Steeda put the wrong pulleys in the wrong bins. They shipped several wrong waterpump pulleys a few weeks ago.
NO MOTHER ******* ****!!!!!!! [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
(Not a tear at you, 04BlueGT - read on and you will see the true source of my frustration).

I have received (count them) THREE FU<KING INCORRECT WATER PUMP PULLEYS from Steeda so far!!! This Goddamn issue has gone on since JUNE!!! To date, I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY CORRECT STEEDA PULLEY!!!!

I spoke to Mike @ Steeda last Thursday inquiring on where my CORRECT pulley is, as I am collecting quite a friggin collection of the incorrect pulleys. He was not sure, but asked me to ship back the 2 INOCRRECT pulleys that I had, which I did, AT MY EXPENSE FOR THE SECOND TIME!!! So to date, I STILL DO NOT HAVE THE CORRECT WATER PUMP PULLEY (after more than three iterations, and me shipping the bastards back to Steeda every time at my own expense, and what is going on 2 months now!!!).

Not sure what ******** retards or illiterate street walkers they have working there at Steeda, but my very generous patience (as anyone who knows me well will tell you) is starting to wear…[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-12-2005, 12:39 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I got the wrong pulley also, but i didnt notice it was the wrong one and ruined my alternator. Long story short, I spent $250 on a new alternator.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:42 AM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1gt

I got the wrong pulley also, but i didnt notice it was the wrong one and ruined my alternator. Long story short, I spent $250 on a new alternator.
**** - I'd better double-check my alternator. It fit just fine and has been on there since June - is there anything specifically that I should look for?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

You're fine...

If anything happened it would have happened on start up. John, I told you to call Steeda and see about getting that pulley checked out.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:05 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

I got the wrong one too. I just ran only 2 of 3 UDP's for a while until he shipped me the correct one. He shipped me it immediatly and I put the new one on and everything was fine. Later, I shipped him the mistake one. FORD did some strange mid-year changes. There are other posts on this. I bought mine from like steeda performance or some dude off of e-Bay and he treated me fine. Never had any probs with the car.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:11 PM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jishead

I got the wrong one too. I just ran only 2 of 3 UDP's for a while until he shipped me the correct one. He shipped me it immediatly and I put the new one on and everything was fine. Later, I shipped him the mistake one. FORD did some strange mid-year changes. There are other posts on this. I bought mine from like steeda performance or some dude off of e-Bay and he treated me fine. Never had any probs with the car.
I’ve been working with Steeda direct (bought from MustangTuning) and they (Steeda & MustangTuning) have not been rude, but this has dragged on since early June and quite frankly its fu<king bullsh!t! Ford pisses me off too for the switch, but that’s outa my control.

What burns my **** about Steeda is the fact that they have sent me the wrong part 3 times, I still do not have the correct pulley, and no one has offered to overnight–express me the correct one, nor have they offered some sort of discount for the inconvenience and $$$ I have spent shipping the wrong bastard pulleys back at my expense.

I last spoke to Steeda over a week ago (9 days) at which time they could not tell me if the replacement and correct pulley had been shipped out yet, but asked me to ship back the last 2 incorrect ones that they sent me. I am calling them Monday and it WON’T be pretty...

Quick Reply: Steeda UDP wrong alternator pulley